"Diana Rigg won't talk about The Avengers"

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Really wish I'd been there at Diana's talk, but couldn't make it. Sometimes I wish I lived in London, so I could be near these type of events. Living in the Midlands isn't that far away, but far enough to just pop in!
I'd love to see her in a play. Does anyone know when she next plans to tread the boards? Thanks, Rich.
Sinus1994
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Sinus1994 »

cyberrich wrote:Really wish I'd been there at Diana's talk, but couldn't make it. Sometimes I wish I lived in London, so I could be near these type of events. Living in the Midlands isn't that far away, but far enough to just pop in!
I'd love to see her in a play. Does anyone know when she next plans to tread the boards? Thanks, Rich.
Yes, sometimes I wish I lived in London, too...
I hope we can see her in a play or an other event next time!

Sincerely yours,
Sinus1994 Image
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Thanks for the synopsis, Paul. :D Sounds like a lovely evening all the way 'round.

(Though I never thought Emma, or any of the other Avengers girls, were overly made up--that was one of the nice things about the characters. But maybe a lot of it didn't show up onscreen).
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
pauljwyatt
Thingumajig

Post by pauljwyatt »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Thanks for the synopsis, Paul. :D Sounds like a lovely evening all the way 'round.

(Though I never thought Emma, or any of the other Avengers girls, were overly made up--that was one of the nice things about the characters. But maybe a lot of it didn't show up onscreen).
I think back then the make up had to be stronger and more akin to stage make up than it is now because the lights they used were so strong. Blindingly so.
Designer, writer & Filmmaker

http://www.paulwyatt.co.uk
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

pauljwyatt wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Thanks for the synopsis, Paul. :D Sounds like a lovely evening all the way 'round.

I think back then the make up had to be stronger and more akin to stage make up than it is now because the lights they used were so strong. Blindingly so.
That's what I thought--they had to put a lot on for even a little bit to show up. :)
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Sinus1994

Post by Sinus1994 »

pauljwyatt wrote: I think back then the make up had to be stronger and more akin to stage make up than it is now because the lights they used were so strong. Blindingly so.
Really? :shock:
But, why they had to use more make up, because of the lights?
Sorry, but I don't stand that/ the reason...

Well, I think in general she doesn't looked overly made up in any episodes, does she?

Sincerely yours,
Sinus1994 Image
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

pauljwyatt wrote:She then answered questions from the floor. An enjoyable hour with a rather charming lady.
Thank you for such a lovely report. It sounds like you had a thoroughly enjoyable time, and you deserve it, for letting us share some of the fun!

As to the makeup - yes, studio lights and the quality of film in the cameras of the time were somewhat of a "blunt instrument", and 1960s fashions and colours demanded loads of "slap". She certainly didn't need any artificial "enhancement", her natural beauty is obvious to every viewer of the show, both then and now, so she has no need to be worried on that score.
Last watched: "Concerto"
Sinus1994

Post by Sinus1994 »

Frankymole wrote: As to the makeup - yes, studio lights and the quality of film in the cameras of the time were somewhat of a "blunt instrument", and 1960s fashions and colours demanded loads of "slap".
Ah, thank you!
Good to know. :D
Frankymole wrote: She certainly didn't need any artificial "enhancement", her natural beauty is obvious to every viewer of the show, both then and now, so she has no need to be worried on that score.
You're quite right. :mrgreen:

Sincerely yours,
Sinus1994 Image
Cariheart

Post by Cariheart »

Oh, yes, Diana was heavily made up during the B & W series. She also said sometime ago that someone in production wanted her freckles covered completely which would mean applying heavy foundations. Her lips were over lined...as if she had collagen injections. During the 5th series, the make-up was more subtle...then again it was the color era.
" I appreciate your ... appreciation."- Mrs. Emma Peel - Escape in Time
Cariheart

Post by Cariheart »

pauljwyatt wrote:Really enjoyed listening to Diana's anecdotes from her career tonight at the V&A. She gamely sat in front of a giant image of herself in the leather catsuit from series 4. She was in good form, said she'd spoken to Patrick just before Christmas and spoke to the packed auditorium with obvious delight about her early days, The Hot House (she had a hard time on that from the director who wanted his girlfriend to play the role) The Avengers and her films. She said "The hospital" was a great film but "The Assassination bureau" was dreadful. She spoke with affection about "Theatre of blood" and recounted a blushing tale of how she played match maker with Vincent Price and his wife to be. She thought the adaptation of the film to the recent stage version (featuring her daughter) was a "piece of shit"

What i will remember is the image of Diana appearing on the back wall in 1965 catsuit. She then walked in, gazed approvingly at the image and beamed at the audience. A fun event.

Here's a image Image

Thanks much, Paul! Very enjoyable!
" I appreciate your ... appreciation."- Mrs. Emma Peel - Escape in Time