Anticlockwise feedback

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

Despite Dan's glorious essay on Return of the C, it lacks the subtlety of the original. In your own words, Season 5 is a "comic book " world. "Candy-coloured." I love some of the Season 5 episodes but offering a self-referential pastiche doesn't always make it interesting. I'd say that half the season works, half doesn't.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

And I disagree - but I unfortunately have not had a chance to really sit down and analyze the Season 5 episodes in print, so there you go.
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

The use of the exteriors of Steed and Tara's apartments help to add a genuine 3D feel to our Avengers in Season 6 and the sets and colour are far more inventive. Rigg was irreplaceable but Season 6 offered genuine evolution, whether or not one liked Thorson or King.
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

I think the Avengers women are always used/abused by the writers, and by Steed. This is not solely a fault of Season 6.
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Again: disagree. But it's not really worth the debate: I prefer and will always prefer Season 5 to Season 6, not because of Rigg or Thorson etc, but because of the entirety of the production.
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

And I will always maintain that Season 4 is the cerebral and artistic heart of the show, with its film noir imagery and witty dialogue. Where scripts took a month to write, not a weekend!
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Which it is. We fully agree on that. I really wasn't trying to start an argument: just that I find the Peel era interesting.
Last edited by Lhbizness on Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

Lhbizness wrote:Which it is. We fully agree on that.
I'd probably agree with you on most things if I put my mind to it, but where would the fun be in that?
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

Lhbizness wrote:Which it is. We fully agree on that. I really wasn't trying to start an argument: just that I find the Peel era interesting.
It is one of my biggest regrets that we didn't have you on board for Season 4's volume. I would love you to have written a chapter on one of my father's monochrome episodes.
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Thank you. I wish I could have written for that.