Brian Clemens

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

... especially as he said the same thing in the same interview about Elizabeth Shepherd who was English as far as I know. He has also said it about writer Philip Levene too.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:... especially as he said the same thing in the same interview about Elizabeth Shepherd who was English as far as I know. He has also said it about writer Philip Levene too.
Oh, I didn't know that. Well, that tells you something, then.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Linda, humourless? Don't make me laugh.

And that's not a Canadian trait. I've been laughing at and loving the comedy festical there since I was in short trousers. A land of beauty, musicians, visionaries and artists... I only wish I lived there :)
Last watched: "Concerto"
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Frankymole wrote:Linda, humourless? Don't make me laugh.

And that's not a Canadian trait. I've been laughing at and loving the comedy festical there since I was in short trousers. A land of beauty, musicians, visionaries and artists... I only wish I lived there :)
I take it you mean the Just for Laughs comedy festival in Montreal? It's pretty brilliant, isn't it? I've only come to realise in the last few years how international it is in reach. Most of the really famous Canadians are comedians. I'd say humour defines us more than anything. I think Brian's comments have more of a basis in his own ill feelings than reality. :roll:

And hey, Franky, come on over any time. We'd be happy to have you! :D

Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

New (to me) Brian Clemens interview here.

Taking Joanna Lumley out to dinner in Sheffield, which Avenger lady he fancied, his new movie and why the BBC's Sherlock is "gay".
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:New (to me) Brian Clemens interview here.

Taking Joanna Lumley out to dinner in Sheffield, which Avenger lady he fancied, his new movie and why the BBC's Sherlock is "gay".
I hadn't read that one, either, Dandy, so thanks for passing it along. :D Nice to hear that he's still in touch with Joanna as well. 8)

mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:
MRotten wrote:
MLP* wrote: I guess he has a supply of stock anecdotes for occasions such as this, and there were some choice one liners including :

"It's all in the editing. I could edit The Saint to make Roger Moore look queer."
I admire Brian and his work but that comment regarding Roger Moore was in poor taste. Gays are tired of being the butt of somebody's unfunny joke. A person's sexuality is not in itself humorous, but Brian has apparently not gotten that memo.
Indeed. Given the archive-television knowledgeable audience, perhaps he should've said "I could edit to make Peter Wyngarde appear straight." As indeed they did!
i concur. dumb comment. moore was a fine actor...wonder if Brian had some some of issue with Roger...probably not....but the comment was in bad taste.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

mousemeat wrote:
Frankymole wrote:
MRotten wrote: I admire Brian and his work but that comment regarding Roger Moore was in poor taste. Gays are tired of being the butt of somebody's unfunny joke. A person's sexuality is not in itself humorous, but Brian has apparently not gotten that memo.
Indeed. Given the archive-television knowledgeable audience, perhaps he should've said "I could edit to make Peter Wyngarde appear straight." As indeed they did!
i concur. dumb comment. moore was a fine actor...wonder if Brian had some some of issue with Roger...probably not....but the comment was in bad taste.
I think you're all taking his comment rather too sensitively.

His point was all about editing and what you could do with an edit to totally change how people see things.

Anyway, that's a rather enjoyable interview (even if the interviewers questions are rather irritating at times).

It's great that a man of his advanced years is still galvanised and working on things he likes doing, no sense of declining.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Apparently only gay people are allowed to use the term "queer", for themselves, it's like the "n-word" amongst black people.

I suppose if one has had centuries of persecution and struggle, like gay people have, one would take things sensitively. It'd be a bit like saying "I could edit to make Martin Luther King look white" or "I could edit to make Hitler seem Jewish". And with that I've Godwinned the thread :)

But yes, I don't think any malice was intended. Everyone makes the odd gaffe. He's a writer, not an orator.
Last watched: "Concerto"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

norw27 wrote:I've heard Brian say before about how he was 'stuck' with Linda, if they really were that aghast with the lead surely they could have replaced her as they did with Elizabeth Shepherd. And to say Linda has no sense of humour is just rubbish.
i concur...Brian is just blowing smoke... I suspect the sour grapes was due to Linda and her then relationship with Bryce...