Diana Rigg

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: Diana Rigg

Post by mousemeat »

called a bad example of revisionist writing
Borgus Weems
Winged Avenger

Re:

Post by Borgus Weems »

Frankymole wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:02 am An interesting rare TV interview with Diana, 1974.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqGTBrPtLzM
Part deux!

Borgus Weems
Winged Avenger

Post by Borgus Weems »

With the mention of Dian Rigg's former hubby Menachem Gueffen, I thought I'd poke around to see what I could see, and I came across this rather different article that I thought might be of interest:
https://forward.com/culture/454168/the- ... iana-rigg/
Riggs’ interest in Jewish cultural aspirants reached its apogee in 1973 when she married the Haifa-born artist Menachem Gueffen (1930-2016), a painter, Palmach veteran, and later illustrator of “The World’s Best Jewish Jokes” by Ben Eliezer.

The brief, stormy relationship included, according to a People Magazine article from July 1974, Gueffen throwing her luggage out a window of the Tel Aviv hotel room they shared during a visit to Israel shortly after the Yom Kippur War.

Rather than being put off by the flying baggage, Rigg was at least temporarily disarmed by Gueffen’s passion and theatricality; she proposed marriage on the flight back to London.

Upon arrival in Israel, she had told a Jerusalem Post reporter that she was “here to do whatever I can,” despite knowing only “a few words” of Hebrew language.

Her mission was to entertain the Israeli troops. When she visited the wounded at Haifa’s Rambam Hospital and appeared before Navy personnel aboard an Israeli Navy vessel, she was asked to sing.

She graciously agreed to do so and was a sensation, although despite occasional appearances in musicals, culminating with a star turn in Lerner and Loewe’s “My Fair Lady” on Broadway in 2018, she did not have a high opinion of her own singing talents.

No matter. The fame of “The Avengers” had extended to Eretz Israel, as indeed it had worldwide, including in France, where the show was given the somewhat more evocative title “Bowler Derby and Leather Boots” (“Chapeau melon et bottes de cuir”).
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Bowler Hat (Chapeau) and Leather Boots, a Derby is a Bowler anyway :)
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Borgus Weems wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:19 pm With the mention of Dian Rigg's former hubby Menachem Gueffen, I thought I'd poke around to see what I could see, and I came across this rather different article that I thought might be of interest:
https://forward.com/culture/454168/the- ... iana-rigg/
Riggs’ interest in Jewish cultural aspirants reached its apogee in 1973 when she married the Haifa-born artist Menachem Gueffen (1930-2016), a painter, Palmach veteran, and later illustrator of “The World’s Best Jewish Jokes” by Ben Eliezer.

The brief, stormy relationship included, according to a People Magazine article from July 1974, Gueffen throwing her luggage out a window of the Tel Aviv hotel room they shared during a visit to Israel shortly after the Yom Kippur War.

Rather than being put off by the flying baggage, Rigg was at least temporarily disarmed by Gueffen’s passion and theatricality; she proposed marriage on the flight back to London.

Upon arrival in Israel, she had told a Jerusalem Post reporter that she was “here to do whatever I can,” despite knowing only “a few words” of Hebrew language.

Her mission was to entertain the Israeli troops. When she visited the wounded at Haifa’s Rambam Hospital and appeared before Navy personnel aboard an Israeli Navy vessel, she was asked to sing.

She graciously agreed to do so and was a sensation, although despite occasional appearances in musicals, culminating with a star turn in Lerner and Loewe’s “My Fair Lady” on Broadway in 2018, she did not have a high opinion of her own singing talents.

No matter. The fame of “The Avengers” had extended to Eretz Israel, as indeed it had worldwide, including in France, where the show was given the somewhat more evocative title “Bowler Derby and Leather Boots” (“Chapeau melon et bottes de cuir”).

been thinking about the personal lives of actors, etc...and sometimes, no matter how successful they have been in their craft, i.e. TV, cinema, Theatre, often times, their personal lives aren't as great as they seem..I got the feeling that Diana's personal life was lacking..peaks and valleys....still, whatever disappointments she made had, she did end up with a lovely daughter..
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Yes, she might not have been lucky with the men in her life but then lots of other people stay trapped in an unhappy relationship, it takes a lot of guts to make a change sometimes.

Patrick Macnee too remarried several times.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
unclefester
Little Wonder

Post by unclefester »

mousemeat wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:53 pm

been thinking about the personal lives of actors, etc...and sometimes, no matter how successful they have been in their craft, i.e. TV, cinema, Theatre, often times, their personal lives aren't as great as they seem..I got the feeling that Diana's personal life was lacking..peaks and valleys....still, whatever disappointments she made had, she did end up with a lovely daughter..
Not to forget a son-in-law that she loved and of course Jack, her grandson who kept her close company on her death bed in her final days...
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:50 pm Yes, she might not have been lucky with the men in her life but then lots of other people stay trapped in an unhappy relationship, it takes a lot of guts to make a change sometimes.

Patrick Macnee too remarried several times.

yeah...I can relate..been married 3 times...first two..were flame outs...as they say, third's the charm..my 3rd marriage, has been the best...and it just took me a while..to find the proper mate....
Borgus Weems
Winged Avenger

Post by Borgus Weems »

How many episodes of 1973's Diana exist? According to IMDB, there were 15 episodes filmed

Show description from IMDB:
After a divorce, beautiful Brit Diana Smythe (Dame Diana Rigg) decides to begin a new life by moving from London to New York City and starting a new career as a fashion coordinator at a Fifth Avenue department store. Living in her brother's empty apartment (to which many young ladies still have keys), Diana learns a new American way of life, assisted by friendly neighbor Holly Green (Carole Androsky), copywriter Howard Tollbrook (Richard B. Shull), window decorator Marshall Tyler (Robert Moore) and new pal Jeff Harmon (Richard Mulligan).
I was only 4 at the time, but I bet my folks watched it!
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

I was a little ' older ' then four...LOL.....and fell in love with the series..it was the coolest thing on American TV, at the time...