What Other Shows Fit in The Avenger-verse?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Borgus Weems
Winged Avenger

What Other Shows Fit in The Avenger-verse?

Post by Borgus Weems »

Aside from The Avengers and The New Avengers, what other shows probably could take place in the same world as The Avengers?

I would vote for:

The Prisoner
Adam Adamant Lives

As I think they make sense all together in the same world.... is there any other shows that would fit?
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I think the boundaries on 'Avengerland' probably changed from season to season. I've just watched Death Despatch and, very enjoyable as it was, it really could have been an episode of Danger Man or The Saint with few changes. I mean, it's set in Jamaica for a start! :lol:

At it's most 'Avengers' - the fourth season - I don't think any other series could fit into it, or come anywhere near but of course Adam Adamant Lives! is the closest to the videotaped era.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

One of the "Stay Tuned" or "On Target" fan magazines had a crossover story with Steed in the Village of "The Prisoner". Emma might have been in it too. Quite an entertaining read.

There was certainly a similarity of music and surrealism.
Last watched: "The Charmers"
The Gaslight Ghoul
Winged Avenger

Post by The Gaslight Ghoul »

I always thought that Department S was the most Avengerish of all the ITC action series with it's strange set ups in the pre credit sequences, man in a space suit stumbling through a London street seemingly choking to death, a tube train full of passengers who are all dead when it pulls in to the last station etc, the main difference being that they all have "plausible" reasons for happening as the course of our heroes investigations later prove, although The Pied Piper Of Hambledown could well have been an Avengers episode in it's own right.
You check the files, I'll check my memories.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Obviously Adam Adamant is the closest, but Jon Pertwee's era of Dr Who is quite like the Avengers in terms of style, and Perwtee's Dr was by his own admission based on Steed, with his Edwardian attire and yellow Bentley. Rich.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

cyberrich wrote:Obviously Adam Adamant is the closest, but Jon Pertwee's era of Dr Who is quite like the Avengers in terms of style, and Perwtee's Dr was by his own admission based on Steed, with his Edwardian attire and yellow Bentley. Rich.
And Dr. Liz Shaw - UNIT Science boffin. Not a million miles removed from Steed's early assistants ... 8)
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

cyberrich wrote:Obviously Adam Adamant is the closest, but Jon Pertwee's era of Dr Who is quite like the Avengers in terms of style, and Perwtee's Dr was by his own admission based on Steed, with his Edwardian attire and yellow Bentley. Rich.
ahem, Bessie was not a Bentley, it was a SIVA kit body on a Ford chassis, meant to look a bit like an Edwardian Model-T or Humber.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:At it's most 'Avengers' - the fourth season - I don't think any other series could fit into it, or come anywhere near but of course Adam Adamant Lives! is the closest to the videotaped era.
I think that Adam Adamant Lives! is closer to season 4 in terms of the kind of stories that it did, with a splash of season 6 (Requiem, Take Over and Bizarre all had elements first used in AAL!).
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Darren wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:At it's most 'Avengers' - the fourth season - I don't think any other series could fit into it, or come anywhere near but of course Adam Adamant Lives! is the closest to the videotaped era.
I think that Adam Adamant Lives! is closer to season 4 in terms of the kind of stories that it did, with a splash of season 6 (Requiem, Take Over and Bizarre all had elements first used in AAL!).
Those episodes came long after AAL! had finished. I was thinking of AAL! being mainly studio-based and videotaped anyway, and the type of story you can tell in that format.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Brendan Jones
Little Wonder

Post by Brendan Jones »

In the light-hearted Doctor Who novel Verdigris (featuring the Doctor's literary female counterpart, Iris Wildthyme), the third Doctor's companion Jo talks about lunching with another friend who works in intelligence. Mind you, Jo and Tara don't believe half the things they tell one another...

In the Iris short story, The Sleuth Slayers, Iris and Tom must team up with an unnamed brolly swinging, bowler hatted man and his young partner, Miss Georgie Price Jones. Iris first met him when he was 'running aound London in a trench coat, being all moody and post-war', and he awkwardly admits that his usual partner is 'on holiday.'

The whole thing ends with Iris' TARDIS (disguised as the Number 22 Routemaster to Putney Common) dematerialising, and the man ruminating that 'my dear- I rather think our exit has been upstaged.'