Poll-best season

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Poll-best season

Post by cyberrich »

Ages since the last poll! In case you're having withdrawal symptoms here's another one. List the 8 seasons in your ORDER OF PREFERENCE. I'll award 8 points to your top choice down to 1 point. No random lists for obvious reasons! It will be no surprise which season wins, but there may be some surprises further down the list. Here's mine.
1st. Season 4.
2. 5.
3. 6.
4. 1-TNA.
5. 3.
6. 2.
7. 2-TNA.
8. 1.

I was torn between 5 and 6, as they are virtually equal. Oh yes, and by season 5 I mean the colour Mrs Peel, 6 being the Tara season. I think we've established there was only one colour Mrs Peel season on another thread!
Looking forward to what you all think. Rich.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

1. Season 4 (Emma B&W)
2. TNA season 1
3. Season 5 (Emma Colour)
4. TNA season 2
5. Season 6 (Tara)
6. Season 3 (Cathy)
7. Season 2 (Cathy/King/Venus)
8. Keel (although this has nothing to do with merit--it's just very difficult to rate when we have so little to go on).

The Cathys gave me a bit of a pause because I haven't gotten my set yet, and so haven't given most of them a rewatch. I doubt that they'll dramatically change which eras I love, but I think I'll probably reevaluate them. I realise, too, that technically Tara's era is probably better in terms of plots, but this is personal preference, and the scripts just can't make up for the fact that I engage with Emma, Gambit, and Purdey better than Tara.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Whiskers
Winged Avenger

Post by Whiskers »

01. Season 4
02. Season 5
03. TNA Season 1
04. Season 6
05. TNA Season 2

and, from what little I've seen of them, probably

06. Season 3
07. Season 2
08. Season 1
VA_Avenger
Winged Avenger

Post by VA_Avenger »

1. Season 5 (Emma Colour)
2. Season 4 (Emma B&W)
3. Season 6 (Tara)
4. Season 3 (Cathy)
5. TNA season 1
6. Season 2 (Cathy/King/Venus)
7. TNA season 2
8. Keel

Now, how many seasons were there? :lol:
<i>Those who don't understand physics are oblivious to the gravity of the situation.
<b>- Jack</b></i>
MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

My favorites in order of preference:

1. Season 3 (Cathy Gale)
2. Season 2 (Cathy Gale, Venus Smith, Jon Rollason)
3. Season 4 (Emma Peel monochrome)
4. Season 5 (Emma Peel colour)
5. Season 6 (Tara King)
6. The New Avengers - first batch
7. The New Avengers - second batch

Of course Season 1 should be included in there somewhere, but since there are only 2 1/3 episodes in existence, it is difficult to make a call. Since I love the early videotaped episodes best of all, I would probably place Season 1 in the 3rd position.
cybermanz
Thingumajig

Post by cybermanz »

1. Season 6 (Tara)
2. Season 3 (Cathy)
3. Season 2 (Cathy/King/Venus)
4. Season 1 (Keel/Carol [remaining episodes])
5. TNA season 1
6. TNA season 2
7. Season 4 (Emma B&W)
8. Season 5 (Emma Colour)

:wink:
denis
Winged Avenger

Post by denis »

Should your results be read upside down, cybermanz ? :wink:

1. Season 4 (Emma B&W)
2. Season 5 (Emma Colour)
3. TNA season 1
4. TNA season 2
5. Season 6 (Tara)
6. Season 3 (Cathy)
7. Season 2 (Cathy/King/Venus)
8. Season 1 (Keel/Carol [remaining episodes])
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

denis wrote:Should your results be read upside down, cybermanz ? :wink:
Why? Because he's from New Zealand? :lol:
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Re: Poll-best season

Post by Frankymole »

1. season six - Tara King - the makers rediscovered that surreal whimsy works best with inventive, and dangerous, drama.
2. season two - Dr Martin King/Venus/Cathy - developing the 'noirish grit' into something unique.
3. season three - Cathy - a touch of whimsy and a hard edge, totally Avengerish. The perfect mix, rediscovered in S4 and S6.
4. The New Avengers season one - has a real joie de vivre and ethos of its own, breaking new ground as the Tara stories did.
5. season one - Dr Keel - dark and gritty, some unusual locations and plots. You can feel the austerity-era London grime.
6. The New Avengers season two - not as inventive as TNA s1 and the foreign crews can't make it 'Avengerish' enough.
7. season four - monochrome Emma. Steed & Emma's chemistry is perfect, some classics, some slightly dull (Sense of History, Danger Makers, Small Game...)
8. season five - colour Emma. tired in many ways, "going through the motions". Forced 'humour', exaggerated 'eccentric Britishness' for the US audience.
9. the Hollywood movie. - if there had been no Avengers on TV, it'd be a lot better regarded as a bit of lightweight fun/spy spoof.
Last edited by Frankymole on Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:25 am, edited 5 times in total.
Last watched: "The Charmers"
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

1. Fourth season. Just the pinnicle of the show - everything works; inventive stories, the cast. It's THE classic Avengers.

2. Fifth season. The stories may have become routine and Patrick and, particularly, Diana look tired, but the chemistry is even greater than the previous season. These are the episodes to show your friends.

3. The New Avengers season 1. Joanna Lumley was a great find, as was Gareth Hunt. Steed is more serious and less flippant, but it's still authentic Avengerss in spite of the 'New'.

The other seasons are pretty equal in my book and are interchangeable depending on my mood. The tiresome movie doesn't count.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY