Purdey, 1976 mannequin head

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Purdey, 1976 mannequin head

Post by Avengerholic »

For those interested, here is the rare life size 1976 Purdey shop mannequin head, complete with original Purdey fashion bob wig. Sadly she has long since been decapitated (and her once healthy and shiny barnet could now do with some loving Vidal Sasoon care) but she is still an amazing piece of vintage new Avengers memorabilia, almost certainly unseen by many fans today. I think there are details somewhere in one of Dave Rogers books about who, and where she was manufactured. I do know the idea to create her arose from the episode 'Sleeper' where Purdey posed as a shop window dummy to avoid capture. She was manufactured especially to display the Purdey wig range and the Purdey silk pajama sets, both of which were a huge commercial hit during the series original run.

Last edited by Avengerholic on Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Oh, that's lovely. Thanks for giving us a look at her! I didn't know they made a Purdey wig range, though it doesn't surprise me.

Now, the really important question is: when the mannequins were put into the window, did their pajama bottoms stay up? :wink:
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Avengerholic

Post by Avengerholic »

There were quite a few things, wigs, pajamas, silk bedding, bead curtains, and of course the Purdey fragrance .....
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Avengerholic wrote:There were quite a few things, wigs, pajamas, silk bedding, bead curtains, and of course the Purdey fragrance .....
Not to mention the marshmallows, although they'd be harder than one of Auntie Penelope's rock cakes by now. :lol:

Avengerholic

Post by Avengerholic »

="Timeless A-PeelNot to mention the marshmallows, although they'd be harder than one of Auntie Penelope's rock cakes by now. :lol:
You know an Emma Peel wristwatch, a carded Purdey doll and a Marshmallow packet were the three things I absolutely craved at the height of my days collecting the Avengers. The Marshmellow pack was the one item I never manged to acquire :( Even though I no longer collect and have sold much of my collection, if ever I see one I'll buy it, just for the hell of saying I got one :D
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Avengerholic wrote: an Emma Peel wristwatch
Does it let Peter Cushing control your body??
Last watched: "The Charmers"
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I remember seeing The New Avengers marshmallows on the sweet counter and in the window of my local Post Office. I wouldn't have bought them as I don't like the sickley things at all, in fact they make me gag, but it was interesting to see them as a piece of Avengers merchandice.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:I remember seeing The New Avengers marshmallows on the sweet counter and in the window of my local Post Office. I wouldn't have bought them as I don't like the sickley things at all, in fact they make me gag, but it was interesting to see them as a piece of Avengers merchandice.
These are the sorts of things that make me sorry not to be a child of the seventies--the closest we had were little cartoon character shaped fruitsnacks (some of which I have seen on ebay, still with vintage 1990s globs of sugar, which are probably still edible, sadly. :lol: ) It would be wonderful if someone found an old package, though. Someone should ask the fellow who donated that 1970s Curly Wurly wrapper to Life on Mars--maybe he has one. :wink:

helenofirvine
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Re: PURDEY, 1976 MANNEQUIN HEAD

Post by helenofirvine »

Avengerholic wrote:For those interested, here is the rare life size 1976 Purdey shop mannequin head, complete with original Purdey fashion bob wig. Sadly she has long since been decapitated (and her once healthy and shiny barnet could now do with some loving Vidal Sasoon care) but she is still an amazing piece of vintage new Avengers memorabilia, almost certainly unseen by many fans today. I think there are details somewhere in one of Dave Rogers books about who, and where she was manufactured. I do know the idea to create her arose from the episode 'Sleeper' where Purdey posed as a shop window dummy to avoid capture. She was manufactured especially to display the Purdey wig range and the Purdey silk pajama sets, both of which were a huge commercial hit during the series original run.
So someone nicked her body eh? Well, who can blame them?!

Me, I love her for her brains as well as her beauty!

;)
Avengerholic

Re: PURDEY, 1976 MANNEQUIN HEAD

Post by Avengerholic »

helenofirvine wrote:So someone nicked her body eh? Well, who can blame them?!
:lol: More to do with storage space I would assume. She would make a great restoration project though, I'd love to see her restored to her former glory, mabe even dressed in a classic Purdey reproduction costume or maybe those blue silk PJ's :) I may attempt it in the spring.

If anyone comes across the info on her in one of Dave's books please let me know, I'd like to read it :wink: