New Avengers - New Release?

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Thanks for the replies! It seems I've been waiting in vain for the remasters. :( It seems I have no choice but to buy the only set available. Can I ask those of you that have this set, is it not too bad :?: I did buy a few of TNA video tapes a few years ago which seemed good enough at the time. Are the dvd's this sort of standard or slightly better :?: We're spoiled now aren't we, with these remastered Avengers sets. Rich.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Why would that be, do you think? Why would they let Optimum do a set, but be unwilling to let Network have a go?
Because StudioCanal didn't have a UK presence then. They now own Optimum, who have been rebranded StudioCanal UK.

They are happy to licence other series to Network, but The Avengers is something they have always considered their "crown jewels", so I would be very surprised (but delighted) if they did license any part of the series to Network.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Alan wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Why would that be, do you think? Why would they let Optimum do a set, but be unwilling to let Network have a go?
Because StudioCanal didn't have a UK presence then. They now own Optimum, who have been rebranded StudioCanal UK.

They are happy to licence other series to Network, but The Avengers is something they have always considered their "crown jewels", so I would be very surprised (but delighted) if they did license any part of the series to Network.
Ah, I didn't know that. I don't keep track of the DVD companies as they come and go pretty quickly, but that makes sense that they'd want to keep it "in-house". But I'd love to see what Network would do with it.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Canal+ don't own TNA though, so I'm hoping Network get to Bluray that as they're currently doing for "The Professionals".
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Did Canal licence the rights then? The first UK DVD release of TNA, from Contender, certainly has the Canal idents (and they're on the box too). Presumably they also had to licence the rights to put them on the German 50th anniversary box set of The Avengers and TNA (all in one set).
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Frankymole wrote:Did Canal licence the rights then? The first UK DVD release of TNA, from Contender, certainly has the Canal idents (and they're on the box too). Presumably they also had to licence the rights to put them on the German 50th anniversary box set of The Avengers and TNA (all in one set).
They're all over the A&E and Optimum sets, too. I have heard the rights situation is slightly different with TNA than the original series, though, due to it being made by Avengers (Film and TV) Enterprises.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

I stand corrected, it appears Studio Canal do indeed hold the rights to TNA.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

dissolute wrote:I stand corrected, it appears Studio Canal do indeed hold the rights to TNA.
have they always ? or just gotten them recently ?
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

dissolute wrote:I stand corrected, it appears Studio Canal do indeed hold the rights to TNA.
Trying to follow all of this. :? :lol: So, seeing as Studio Canal hold the rights, and it was they who remastered the original Avengers series, could they not do the same with TNA :?: Rich.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

They could, but they choose not to. Strange, as TNA get more recent repeats on TV, and so are more of a "hot property" commercially. But Canal have never been noted for commercial sense!
Last watched: "Mandrake"