The Avengers dvd set 3 (series 4) from Optimum

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Then there were the other gimmicks, what was that one with the spine-tingling aliens, where they had electric shocks in the seats?!
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:I remember reading about "It Came From Outer Space" in 3D, in the early 70s, wished I could've seen it that way as I quite liked the film.
darn auto correct.....'GOG' not 'GOD'....SCARED the heck out of me..when I was a kid...when I first saw it in 1959, some 5 yrs after it was released..the scientist freezing and shattering into pieces, when he hit the ground..really spooked me out....

It came was a brilliant 50's sci-fi..with some 'cold war' elements to it..screenplay by ray Bradberry..shot in crisp b/w..

had the great Richard Carlson in it..(character actor)
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Some 50s SF stands the test of time far better than 60s and 70s stuff... Quatermass, Forbidden Planet, etc
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:Some 50s SF stands the test of time far better than 60s and 70s stuff... Quatermass, Forbidden Planet, etc
The Quatermass films, weren't well received here in the states...'too british' was the opinion...and they weren't promoted well...as for some of the best known and loved sci-fi of the 50's, that would include, Desination moon,(1951) It came from Outer space (1953) The Thing (1951) Them (1954) GOG (1954) Forbidden Planet (1956) Earth VS the Flying Saucers (1958)

among the many others...and I would concur, the 50's batch, was the best examples...
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

mousemeat wrote:The Quatermass films, weren't well received here in the states...'too british' was the opinion...
And that was the judgement given to the Avengers film at the test screenings.:)
Last edited by darren on Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

darren wrote:
mousemeat wrote:
Frankymole wrote: The Quatermass films, weren't well received here in the states...'too british' was the opinion...
And that was the judgement given to the Avengers film at the test screenings.:)
if memory serves me right....THERE was NO press screenings for that film..as Warners probably realized what a train wreck that film was..most of the time, the press gets a screening...so a review. ( pro / con ) is written..alerting the public..
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

There was certainly no press screening in the UK.

I remember that they had some sort of post-screening party as a premiere where some z-list celebrities turned up - a weather girl dressed as Emma Peel.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

darren wrote:There was certainly no press screening in the UK.

I remember that they had some sort of post-screening party as a premiere where some z-list celebrities turned up - a weather girl dressed as Emma Peel.
and there was NO press screenings in North America, either....
Philip Mason
White Dwarf

Hello, 2 dimensional pictures always seem more naturally 3d

Post by Philip Mason »

Ian Wegg wrote:
Frankymole wrote:After a short time my brain just ignores the lack of colour, like it ignores the lack of three dimensions, the edge of a frame, smell, touch and other senses... I'm dumbfounded that some young people can't get over the lack of colour, when all the riches of sight and sound are on display.
It isn't only young people. From the mid-seventies onwards my mother has refused to watch anything in not in colour, her reasoning being that she didn't spend all that money on a colour set to watch in black & white. It caused a few family arguments over the years.

Interesting point about the frame, hardly anybody mentions that. All attempts to introduce 3D television have failed because of it - 3D can never work unless you can get the picture to fill your entire field of vision, it seems strange to me that few people seem to realise that.
Philip Mason
White Dwarf

Hello, 2 dimensional pictures always seem more naturally 3d

Post by Philip Mason »

Ian Wegg wrote:
Frankymole wrote:After a short time my brain just ignores the lack of colour, like it ignores the lack of three dimensions, the edge of a frame, smell, touch and other senses... I'm dumbfounded that some young people can't get over the lack of colour, when all the riches of sight and sound are on display.
It isn't only young people. From the mid-seventies onwards my mother has refused to watch anything in not in colour, her reasoning being that she didn't spend all that money on a colour set to watch in black & white. It caused a few family arguments over the years.

Interesting point about the frame, hardly anybody mentions that. All attempts to introduce 3D television have failed because of it - 3D can never work unless you can get the picture to fill your entire field of vision, it seems strange to me that few people seem to realise that.