Avengerland

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Rodney

Avengerland

Post by Rodney »

I wanted to ask fellow fans about the term 'Avengerland' but perhaps I should briefly explain my purpose! Having completed a book on the Inspector Rebus novels, I am busy writing a study of The Avengers. Not a factual book but one which analyses the show in terms of its ability to offer a revolutionary and innovative viewing experience unlike that of any other drama. It is based on a close reading of select episodes, mostly from the Peel b/w era but also including two Blackman episodes, two colour Riggs and three Thorson ones.
What I wanted help on is a definition of the term Avengerland. To me it's any setting - location or studio - in the show with one foot in a realistic world but one elsewhere: an abandoned air base, department store, country house, factory, graveyard, etc. where the surreal or unexpected undermines our sense of normality. But what do others think of the term? I would appreciate any thoughts or ideas and if I do use any then these will be acknowledged in print!
Last edited by Rodney on Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

I am, of course, aware of Anthony McKay's definition of Avengerland as 'referring to the area within half an hour's drive of the Borehamwood and Pinewood film studios where series such as THE AVENGERS, THE SAINT, THE BARON and many more classic television programmes did their location filming' but this isn't quite what I have in mind. More a state of mind than a geographical location.
Last edited by Rodney on Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I look forward to the book, but I think it's generally called Avengerland - as in Avenger girl. Avengersland sounds a bit awkward to me.

There a lots of ways to describe it and we may have different views of it. What comes to my mind is a timeless, never-never land that resembles England in a Rupert Brooke utopia. However underneath it all an air of danger, deceit and duplicity. Empty streets where everyone has a doppleganger.

This will take some thought ...
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

I'll give this some thinking. Avengerland seems to be a place not without evil, but without vices. There is crime, but I doesn't have the social negative consequences, Steed and Peel can just go about their business without having to wonder about the intended and unintended consequences because all that matters is taking away the D.M. and Avengerland is perfect again. It's crime fighting in a two dimensional world.

Place elaborate on this and scrutinize it.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

You're quite right, I meant Avengerland. Those are interesting thoughts and if anyone else wishes to contribute it would be much appreciated.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

I have corrected it to Avengerland. Thanks Dandy. I think it's an interesting subject, trying to define what exactly the concept entailed and how it evolved etc.
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Maybe the emptiness (the lack of people) was not only to give a creepy and eerie feel to it, but also to present it as a kind of parallel world. Not necessarily in the same geographical place, but to give the idea that it could be going on in our world, yet not being within physical reach.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

The Avengers was I guess, surreal, as opposed to plain real. The mundane, everyday circumstances simply didn't occur in Avengerland. The concept of Avengerland didn't begin either until Mrs Peel entered the scene. The first three seasons were obviously more grounded in reality, with a sort of Harry Palmer take on the spy world. The final three seasons took more of a James Bond approach, only taking the fantasy elements to greater extremes. The sense of Avengerland was carefully contrived by the Avengers team. Only the minimum of characters were employed, and those that were used were eccentric to say the least. Only the most unusual locations were used. No everyday, mundane shots to detract from the sense of the surreal. The Avengers created a Britain we all wish it could be. A world of beautiful locations full of extraordinary characters.
Good luck with the book! Richard.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

cyberrich wrote:The Avengers was I guess, surreal, as opposed to plain real. The mundane, everyday circumstances simply didn't occur in Avengerland. The concept of Avengerland didn't begin either until Mrs Peel entered the scene. The first three seasons were obviously more grounded in reality, with a sort of Harry Palmer take on the spy world. The final three seasons took more of a James Bond approach, only taking the fantasy elements to greater extremes. The sense of Avengerland was carefully contrived by the Avengers team. Only the minimum of characters were employed, and those that were used were eccentric to say the least. Only the most unusual locations were used. No everyday, mundane shots to detract from the sense of the surreal. The Avengers created a Britain we all wish it could be. A world of beautiful locations full of extraordinary characters.
Good luck with the book! Richard.
True, although the desire to use unusual locations was given in the writers' brief for the earlier videotaped seasons - hence things like circuses being used as settings.
Last watched: "Concerto"
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Yes, I agree that the unusual locations: circuses, joke shops etc. are there in the video taped era, too, though to a lesser degree.