your first "Avengers"

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Mrs. Peel
Little Wonder

your first "Avengers"

Post by Mrs. Peel »

What was the first episode you have seen of "The Avengers"? And what did you think about it? Did you like it at first or did you have a different opinion about "The Avengers" than you have now?

My first episode was "A surfeit of H2O" - I didn't like it at all, but later on I saw "The Joker" (just by accident) and then I started to love "The Avengers"

:D
Always keep your bowler on in times of stress!
Hoity-Toity!

http://theavengersrevisited.blogspot.com
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

My first full episode was The Winged Avenger. Before that I had seen tiny clips of The See-Through Man (where Steed slams the headless fellow in the door) and The Bird Who Knew Too Much (when Emma dives into the pool) while channel-surfing (this was the late nineties, and we still only had four channels. It was pretty easy to skip through. :lol: ) The fact that I remember those two tiny clips before I even watched a full episode should tell you something. I think the first thing that intrigued me, as a kid, was that the deaths, which were pretty brutal clawings, were entirely bloodless. I'm still not big on gore to this day, and at that young age I was even less so. Something right there twigged with me that this wasn't your average show. I enjoyed the episode enough to tune in next week, by which point I'd fallen for the Steed/Emma dynamic in a big way. Two wonderfully confident, well-dressed people having adventures and mowing down the baddies. Season 5 may not be the "best" season of the series, but it's definitely the most accessible, especially if you're a kid, and I still adore the vibrant colour palette and light, fantastic touch of the plots. Those episodes are just as fun now as they were to that kid. :D
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
SteedMonk
Little Wonder

Post by SteedMonk »

My first episode was"QUICK-QUICK SLOW DEATH". I loved it and started to watch the series. It was a real accident, because I skipped through the channels, like Timeless (but with more than 4 channels :D ). That was only 2 years ago and I still have the same opinion about "The Avengers" - it's one of the best tv series ever made! :lol:
Steed: "Eee-urp!!"
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

When I was 12 or so I did see some of the Peel colours, because I have a few vague and small memories from THE CORRECT WAY TO KILL, THE SUPERLATIVE SEVEN and ESCAPE IN TIME.

But my first episodes was in 2003, A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE STATION. The Peel colour were broadcast then, I for some reason I wanted to see The Avengers even though I didn't really know the show. After that first episodes I had my doubts, thought it was a bit childish. But once I had seen my second episode (ESCAPE IN TIME) I was sold, and been a fan ever since. ESCAPE IN TIME still is one of my personal favourites.

I saw 20 out of 25 Peel Colours within a month, which was good in hindsight, because they became one big chunk in my memory. Making the first re-watch more pleasurable then expected.
Mrs. Peel
Little Wonder

Post by Mrs. Peel »

I discovered the Avengers a year ago. I just knew the movie and then there were the old episodes on TV, I didn't pay attention, because I don't like the film, but then I saw "The Joker". I was very confused - I was checking for several times if this episode belongs to "The Avengers", because it was so good that I couldn't believe it that the old version of "The Avengers" was such a good one :D
Always keep your bowler on in times of stress!
Hoity-Toity!

http://theavengersrevisited.blogspot.com
SteedMonk
Little Wonder

Post by SteedMonk »

Mrs. Peel wrote:I discovered the Avengers a year ago. I just knew the movie and then there were the old episodes on TV, I didn't pay attention, because I don't like the film, but then I saw "The Joker". I was very confused - I was checking for several times if this episode belongs to "The Avengers", because it was so good that I couldn't believe it that the old version of "The Avengers" was such a good one :D
Where did you see them? I suppose on ARTE, because you're from Austria. :D
Steed: "Eee-urp!!"
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I wish I could remember mine. :cry:
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Easy. The Town of No Return. Channel 4 started to repeat it (middle 80's, at a guess, if not earlier). I was captivated by it. It had images that really stayed with me. The pub, the abandoned airbase, the empty school, the beach - really striking images that I remembered. I probably was more aware of Emma Peel than Steed (my childhood hairdresser had a look of Diana Rigg about her so I always associated her with the show).

It will always be special for me (despite being a great episode anyway).
Sam
Winged Avenger

Post by Sam »

I've been watching since the early 70's. I have no idea what the first one I would've seen was, except it was either an Emma or Tara episode.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I plan to be regressed to see if I can remember any David Keel and Cathy Gale episodes.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY