Ian Hendry

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

cyberrich wrote:Image
It's about 4 years since Tunnel of fear had a dvd release. With Girl on the trapeze that makes 2 Dr Keel episodes they've discovered since the millenium. A grand total now of three and a third episodes. Surely there are more season 1 episodes hiding out there somewhere. Obviously some were live so we'll never see those. I can't remember now how many were recorded to tape, but Tunnel of fear was discovered in a private collection. What can be done by Avengers fans to encourage private collectors and tv stations around the world to have a good root around to see what's hiding? I'm sure I'm not the only fan who can't wait to see more Dr Keel episodes. :D
I couldn't have stated it any better...and I'm hoping more will turn up...a good example...the pilot episode of LEAVE IT TO BEAVER, (1957-1963) well, the original first pilot..with a different Ward, and Wally, thought be long lost...was found a few years ago, in pristine shape film wise, in a warehouse in New Jersey. among a bunch of film in cans, etc...So, I'm hoping either a collector comes forth, or somewhere in the world, some material turns up...much like the long lost Beaver pilot...
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

cyberrich wrote:Obviously some were live so we'll never see those.
Actually we could. Even though transmitted live, they were recorded off telerecording apparatus as they went out! (And later in consideration for a "best of the Avengers" mini-season for London which had missed this part of the initial northern run). Girl on the Trapeze was one of these. I think there were nine in all. I recommend McGinlay and Hayes' brilliant book on the first season if you want to know more about this: "The Strange Case of the Missing Episodes - The Lost Stories of the Avengers Series 1"
Last watched: "Mandrake"
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Correct, Franky. There were seven episodes broadcast live, but they were all recorded off TX, and a memo dated 30 March 1962 proposes a replay season of all of them, and the two that followed, to the London area, which had never seen those 9 episodes (London showed the first two episodes, then skipped 9 to catch up to the the national syndication - if I can call it that). All 26 episodes were recorded to tape.

https://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avenge ... /series-1/
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

That's good news, so potentially we might see all of season 1 one day. I wish tv companies and collectors would have a thorough search, but realistically we just have to wait and see what turns up. I hope it's in our lifetime :!:
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

More good news for TPTV viewers (hopefully will be on the Encore catch-up web page too):

mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:More good news for TPTV viewers (hopefully will be on the Encore catch-up web page too):

wow..thanks for the post....two thumbs up
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

I've just watched Afternoon of a nymph, a tv play from 1962. It's probably fair to say that this is of it's time but Ian Hendry gives an excellent performance in this. I've never seen him give anything less. Sydney Newman produced this, and you might recognize a future ITC star in a supporting role. https://youtu.be/jcxK6YMU4NU
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

have been enjoying the replys to this thread...my next question,

did you enjoy Ian doing comedy-or-drama ? which mode did you prefer ?
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

mousemeat wrote:have been enjoying the replys to this thread...my next question,

did you enjoy Ian doing comedy-or-drama ? which mode did you prefer ?
I do enjoy his lighter stuff.

The Adventures of Don Quick is very odd though! It's kind of a SF sex comedy without the sex: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXmsE7qQLMg
Last edited by Frankymole on Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

cyberrich wrote:I've just watched Afternoon of a nymph, a tv play from 1962. It's probably fair to say that this is of it's time but Ian Hendry gives an excellent performance in this. I've never seen him give anything less. Sydney Newman produced this, and you might recognize a future ITC star in a supporting role. https://youtu.be/jcxK6YMU4NU
Ah, Janet Munro, his wife-soon-to-be. I think he got a contract for this play and possibly another one to stop him running off immediately during/after the Avengers? I'll have to read the book about Series 1 again. Was it recorded and held back?

A nice little review here: http://www.screenonline.org.uk/tv/id/704329/index.html