Ian Hendry

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:
cyberrich wrote:I've just watched Afternoon of a nymph, a tv play from 1962. It's probably fair to say that this is of it's time but Ian Hendry gives an excellent performance in this. I've never seen him give anything less. Sydney Newman produced this, and you might recognize a future ITC star in a supporting role. https://youtu.be/jcxK6YMU4NU
Ah, Janet Munro, his wife-soon-to-be. I think he got a contract for this play and possibly another one to stop him running off immediately during/after the Avengers? I'll have to read the book about Series 1 again. Was it recorded and held back?

A nice little review here: http://www.screenonline.org.uk/tv/id/704329/index.html

Janet Munro...I remember her from a couple of UK 'B' films..i.e. sci-fi.....and she married Ian in 1963, until they divorced in 1971. Sadly, she passed away in 1972....
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Yes, a heart problem. I think their daughters were quite young.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:Yes, a heart problem. I think their daughters were quite young.
tis' a shame....always sad when it happens...especially, way before their time
J.Mac3
Little Wonder

Post by J.Mac3 »

mousemeat wrote:
Frankymole wrote:Yes, a heart problem. I think their daughters were quite young.
tis' a shame....always sad when it happens...especially, way before their time
A tragedy indeed. In Janet's Wikipedia article, director Val Guest (The Day the Earth Caught Fire), is quoted: " [she] didn't become an alcoholic until she met Ian. She tried too hard to keep up with him."

I am very much an introvert and have had struggles with alcohol myself, but as a visual artist (painter) I thankfully have long, luxurious periods of being by myself in a quiet studio. I don't know if Janet was an introvert but I can certainly understand how actors and actresses, if shy and introverted, would turn to alcohol to numb the feelings of being over-stimulated: day to day constant interactions with so many people, all the attention, being on stage in front of an audience, etc. But it's so sad when the alcohol becomes an addiction and completely destroys them.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Thank goodness I gave up drinking last February! Been sober for 9 months. It will be a strange Christmas when I can't have some nice wine when doing my annual rewatch (or even champagne or brandy for Emma and Steed!).
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:Thank goodness I gave up drinking last February! Been sober for 9 months. It will be a strange Christmas when I can't have some nice wine when doing my annual rewatch (or even champagne or brandy for Emma and Steed!).

yeah..I can certainly understand...been an artist, for what has seem eons..and yeah, drank myself silly at times, while spending countless hours in my studio, trying to flesh out a potential exhibit...

congrats to both Jmac, and Franky, for getting off the alcohol hwy..never easy, but it does pay handsome dividends..
Frankymole

Re: Ian Hendry

Post by Frankymole »

A nice appreciation here (apologies if it has been posted before, I haven't time to read back to check, at the moment!):
https://ianhendry.com/simon-furness-on- ... ter-actor/
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

enjoyed that link to Ian...actually, quite a actor....in fact, watched him tonight in 1969's ' doppleganger ' (universal)
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Doppelganger (aka Journey To The Far Side of the Sun) is a severely underrated movie. I loved it!
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

I concur Franky....with that film...and I recently got a blu-ray version of the film...looks and sounds, so much better than the original VHS, and later DVD release....like night and day..