The Avengers - A 50th Anniversary Celebration

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

Trying to track down information on this event has been a stark reminder of the ethereal nature of the internet. Luckily a lot of pictures have been posted in this thread (for as long as they and/or the forum survive) Very sadly much of the other material, such as the Chichester University Blog and the event's Vimeo channel, have now gone.

For the record, I have found:

Facebook: The Avengers - 50th Anniversary Event

Twitter: @Avengers_Chi

YouTube: BBC South Today: Avengers reunion

Hopefully, the weekend's material has been preserved by the university, does anyone know of any online sources?
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

A stark reminder of the "virtual Dark Age". There is no central repository of data and if the WayBack machine doesn't have something, it's often gone forever. I've lost so many of my favourite sites, written with loving care, and we really need an internet equivalent of the British Library (which preserves one copy of every book ever published). The WayBack Machine guys were prescient but sadly it's only a proportion of everything that was produced.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Ah yes the Vimeo video https://vimeo.com/45910792
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

I don't understand what this is. Are these preserved make-up dummies from the 1960s? I never heard of such a thing for any programme

darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

I think the heads must be test for the Steed and Emma dolls from Product Enterprises that came out around 2005.

As I said in another thread, I'd really love to see the footage from the weekend. They clearly recorded all the interviews.

It's quite sad looking at the guests when you realise how many of them are no longer with us.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Frankymole wrote:I'm sure a more recent reader of it will step in to answer, but my vague recollection is that the owners of a restaurant(?) that Macnee used to frequent described their half-deaf dog as "blind in one ear". I'm not sure why Macnee chose it as a title except that it evokes English eccentricity rather well.
It's been awhile since I read it as well, but it was something like that. I remember Patrick writing he wondered if he was "blind in one ear" himself. He liked it as a turn of phrase to sum up his life.
I remember reading about Patrick's early career and his ups and downs..so the title sorta fits..i suppose
GeorgeD
White Dwarf

Re: The Avengers - A 50th Anniversary Celebration

Post by GeorgeD »

Is the link to the video dead or is it me?
Frankymole

Re:

Post by Frankymole »

darren wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:55 pm As I said in another thread, I'd really love to see the footage from the weekend. They clearly recorded all the interviews.

It's quite sad looking at the guests when you realise how many of them are no longer with us.
There is some footage on the new Australian BluRay sets of season 6, apparently.
Allard
The Ministry

Re:

Post by Allard »

Frankymole wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:38 pm A stark reminder of the "virtual Dark Age". There is no central repository of data and if the WayBack machine doesn't have something, it's often gone forever. I've lost so many of my favourite sites, written with loving care, and we really need an internet equivalent of the British Library (which preserves one copy of every book ever published). The WayBack Machine guys were prescient but sadly it's only a proportion of everything that was produced.

I disagree, the more decentralised the better the survival chances. The real problems are the frequent changes of formats / technology and intellectual property.
Frankymole

Re: Re:

Post by Frankymole »

Allard wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:25 pm I disagree, the more decentralised the better the survival chances. The real problems are the frequent changes of formats / technology and intellectual property.
Yes, storage formats are an issue. Particularly if we lose the hardware and software to access some things due to commercial "progress".

I guess it's all about accessibility. The British Museum library has a copy of every publication in the UK (it's a legal condition a copy is sent there when something is published), which ensures preservation and accessibility for researchers in the future - but if people's archives are private, things can be "lost" forever. We've had that even with some TV franchise-holders like Southern whose stuff has gone missing, or in the case of paperwork, destroyed.