Any big fans of Tara King?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
George
Thingumajig

Any big fans of Tara King?

Post by George »

From the episodes I have seen with Tara King in, I really enjoy her in The Avengers. I know alot of people are not keen on Diana Rigg's replacement, but I think the character of Tara was a great character for the show. I recently bought the Series (or is it Season ) 6 boxset, even though its got the high pitched Forget Me Knot episode, and I look very much forward to watching the entire Series/Season.

Since I am still learning about The Avengers, why wasn't Tara King chosen to star in The New Avengers after her and Patrick were in that French Champayne advert in 1975?
"Mrs Peel, we're needed"
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Speaking personally she's an absolute favourite for me. Superficially Linda Thorson is very beautiful (wonderful eyes). I love the eccentric quality she brought to Tara and love the chemistry she enjoys with Macnee. So many of my favourite episodes are in season 6.

Linda wouldn't have done the New Avengers as she felt that she'd moved on. I don't think Brian Clemens and Albert Fennell would have cast her again as they wanted to start afresh.
George
Thingumajig

Post by George »

I love Linda's short brown hairstyle. She suited that much more than being blonde. Am I right in saying the short brown hairstyle she sported was actually a wig?
"Mrs Peel, we're needed"
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

The wigs features from The Forget-Me-Knot to Whoever Shot Poor George Oblique Stroke XR40? (In production order as shown on the DVD). There were several variations. By All Done With Mirrors, her hair was long enough again.

In Invasion of the Earthmen, aside from the wig changing scenes, the blond hair shown throughout the episode is her own before it started falling out.

She later wore on long wig for the tag scene to The Morning After.
George
Thingumajig

Post by George »

Darren wrote:The wigs features from The Forget-Me-Knot to Whoever Shot Poor George Oblique Stroke XR40?
So thats ten stories then? Plus were the Tara King years 68-69 or just 68?
"Mrs Peel, we're needed"
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

George wrote:
Darren wrote:The wigs features from The Forget-Me-Knot to Whoever Shot Poor George Oblique Stroke XR40?
The UK broadcasts started in 1969 but America had them first starting in 1968 so it would be 68-69.
George
Thingumajig

Post by George »

Darren wrote:
George wrote:
The UK broadcasts started in 1969 but America had them first starting in 1968 so it would be 68-69.
What's your favourite episode with Tara King in then? Plus I do much prefer the orange title sequences with Tara in the orange suit than the knight and cards title sequences.

"Mrs Peel, we're needed"
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

I do love the suits of armour title sequence as it's the one that stuck in my memory from the channel repeats I saw as a child on Channel 4 in the 80's. It feels like a natural progression in that it's set outside and has a lovely summery, airy feel. I used to watch it constantly on rewind when I first got the videos.

I do like those orange titles and it wouldn't have bothered me if they had remained on the first production batch of episodes. The animated additions are great. It's great to see them spruced up on the DVD.

Where to begin with my favourite episodes for season 6...

Fog
They Keep Killing Steed
Take Over
My Wildest Dream
Who was that man I saw you with?
Curious Case of Countless Clues
All Done With Mirrors

I could go on probably.:)
George
Thingumajig

Post by George »

Do you have a least favourite episode Darren?
"Mrs Peel, we're needed"
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Re: Any big fans of Tara King?

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

George wrote:Since I am still learning about The Avengers, why wasn't Tara King chosen to star in The New Avengers after her and Patrick were in that French Champayne advert in 1975?
Mainly because it was The New Avengers, and as Darren said, they wanted to start fresh with new people. Also likely because Linda wasn't Brian Clemens' choice for an Avengers girl the first time around, so the chances of him bringing her back would have been pretty slim.

Tara got a bad rap from a lot of people for a long time, but I feel that she, like TNA, has gotten a reevaluation in recent years, and her time on the show is better appreciated than it was. There are a lot of gems in her season, and Darren's hit most of my favourites. I'll add in Game and The Interrogators. The usual contenders for bottom-of-the-barrel are Thingumajig, Invasion of the Earthmen, and Homicide and Old Lace, but I'd encourage you to watch them all and form your own opinions.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14