Season 4 tag scenes

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Rodney

Season 4 tag scenes

Post by Rodney »

We all remember the tag scenes in the 1965 b/w season. Recently, while reading through my father's old scripts, I realised that they all carry quite a bizarre directive: as the vehicle sets off into the distance, the wording is 'receding up a deserted country road towards a bright horizon'. This expression appears in every episode, modified in the air balloon of Silent Dust to 'ascending towards a bright sky'. So what? one is tempted to say. However, it strikes me that perhaps the tag was not simply to leave us with a smile or a warm feeling. Is the suggestion that our heroes are alone in the world and are off to find another mission or adventure? Why is it a 'bright horizon'? What do others think about the tag scenes in general: are they effective and what is your favourite? My personal favourite is in the taxi in Dial A Deadly Number because it involves a witty exchange rather than simply an image. I also find them rather sad or elegiac as they mark the end of our hour with Steed and Mrs Peel.
DiVicenzo
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Re: Season 4 tag scenes

Post by DiVicenzo »

Rodney wrote:We all remember the tag scenes in the 1965 b/w season. Recently, while reading through my father's old scripts, I realised that they all carry quite a bizarre directive: as the vehicle sets off into the distance, the wording is 'receding up a deserted country road towards a bright horizon'. This expression appears in every episode, modified in the air balloon of Silent Dust to 'ascending towards a bright sky'. So what? one is tempted to say. However, it strikes me that perhaps the tag was not simply to leave us with a smile or a warm feeling. Is the suggestion that our heroes are alone in the world and are off to find another mission or adventure? Why is it a 'bright horizon'? What do others think about the tag scenes in general: are they effective and what is your favourite? My personal favourite is in the taxi in Dial A Deadly Number because it involves a witty exchange rather than simply an image. I also find them rather sad or elegiac as they mark the end of our hour with Steed and Mrs Peel.
I remember watching them the first time around when they were first broadcast and felt sad at the end of each episode because as you say it marked the end of our hour with Steed and Mrs Peel. At the same time there was a warm fuzzy feeling. But even now I get a twinge.
My favourites are the one you cite and I like 'The Hour That Never Was Too'.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

that became a highly controversial one as the production team decided to speed it up. The tv company wanted that altered as they thought it was too silly but in fact the original idea was that Steed swopped his bowler for a milkman's hat and the float went off at normal pace.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Rodney wrote:that became a highly controversial one as the production team decided to speed it up. The tv company wanted that altered as they thought it was too silly but in fact the original idea was that Steed swopped his bowler for a milkman's hat and the float went off at normal pace.
Brilliant! Oh, why didn't they film alternate scenes - what great DVD extras they'd have made!
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Artanis
Winged Avenger

Re: Season 4 tag scenes

Post by Artanis »

Rodney wrote:However, it strikes me that perhaps the tag was not simply to leave us with a smile or a warm feeling. Is the suggestion that our heroes are alone in the world and are off to find another mission or adventure? Why is it a 'bright horizon'? What do others think about the tag scenes in general: are they effective and what is your favourite? My personal favourite is in the taxi in Dial A Deadly Number because it involves a witty exchange rather than simply an image. I also find them rather sad or elegiac as they mark the end of our hour with Steed and Mrs Peel.
The tag scenes from the fourth season were the best. It's great to see Emma and Steed driving off into the bright horizon after solving this week's mystery and wondering what the next adventure will be. They never make me sad because I can always watch another episode whenever I want. But I understand how sad people must have felt when watching them in the '60s because it meant The Avengers were over until next week.

My favorites are: the rickshaw from "Room Without A View", the car that's also a boat from "Castle De'ath" and "Dial A Deadly Number."
Allen
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Rodney wrote:that became a highly controversial one as the production team decided to speed it up. The tv company wanted that altered as they thought it was too silly but in fact the original idea was that Steed swopped his bowler for a milkman's hat and the float went off at normal pace.
Brilliant! Oh, why didn't they film alternate scenes - what great DVD extras they'd have made!
I love the milk float tag, too, especially Emma and Steed speeding up near the end. Emma waving her arms away frantically always makes me grin--no one's driving! Who's she waving at? :D

I like Castle De'Ath, too, if only because I want that car...
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
DiVicenzo

Post by DiVicenzo »

I didn't know that...but I love it just the way it is..cue music :D
Philippa

Post by Philippa »

Oh I love the tag scene in 'The Hour That Never Was'. I just watched it yesterday.
Another one that I also love is the tag scene in 'Honey For The Prince' when Steed and Emma are on that "flying carpet" :D
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Man-Eater of Surrey Green also has a fab. tag.

I think it is just about a happy end, but perhaps in a bit ironic way.
Every episodes they fight evil, but there is always an happy end which seems to symbolise a more simple live in stark contrast to the diabolical plans of some evil mastermind. That would fit in with the ambiguous approach to new technology in the Avengers. A sentimental look on the good old simple life.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I loved the tags. It sent you off happy, knowing it was all fiction and without giving you bad dreams. It's a shame they didn't continue it into The New Avengers.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY