The Avengers....at the seaside?

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
Oliver Twist
Nutshell

The Avengers....at the seaside?

Post by Oliver Twist »

This is a question for the aficionados....in 1966 Diana Rigg and Patrick Macnee did a publicity photo-shoot (as Steed and Mrs Peel) at the seashore in England. Some of you will undoubtedly be aware of this particular shoot. Several (to my eyes) quite iconic shots emerged from it. In particular the ones of Steed and Mrs Peel holding telephones (she in a jump suit, he seated in a chair) with the sea receding to the horizon behind them. Now, I have seen several images from this shoot - but only quite heavily cropped and poorly reproduced - on the Unofficial Diana Rigg website and elsewhere. What I want to know is this....do you know who took the photos? Do you know when and where they were taken? And, most importantly, can you provide me with any links to good quality reproductions of them?

Your help would be appreciated...
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

No I do not know who took the photographs.

More important there was also filming done. In Who's Who??? we can see Diana riding a horse on the beach. The original film would make a great extra for a DVD release.
Oliver Twist
Nutshell

Post by Oliver Twist »

Allard wrote:No I do not know who took the photographs.

More important there was also filming done. In Who's Who??? we can see Diana riding a horse on the beach. The original film would make a great extra for a DVD release.
I notice that in the few pictures I have seen reproduced from this shoot, Patrick Macnee is wearing that wonderful dove-grey suit (with suede collar and matching suede Chelsea boots) that he also wears in the opening credits sequence for the Tara King era.

Does Diana also wear the same - rather light - jump suit in her horse ride along the beach as she wears for the publicity shots? I would like to see the film of that....

Thinking about it, they must have combined the two - a day's (or a morning's) filming plus the publicity shoot.

Somebody, somewhere must have decent copies of the photos from that shoot. I would love to see them. The ones that I have seen reproduced all look a bit murky - like third or fourth hand copies.

What I'm hoping is that the photos might be posted somewhere on the internet, and that somebody who comes here might be able to provide me with a link, or links, to them.

Who's Who???.....I'll bear that in mind.
DiVicenzo
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by DiVicenzo »

If you join the Ministry of Riggism group at Yahoo under the Photos section there are 14 photos from the beach shoot in various outfits. I did have the name of the beach somewhere - if I find it I'll let you know :)

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/Mi ... f_Riggism/
Oliver Twist
Nutshell

Post by Oliver Twist »

DiVicenzo wrote:If you join the Ministry of Riggism group at Yahoo under the Photos section there are 14 photos from the beach shoot in various outfits. I did have the name of the beach somewhere - if I find it I'll let you know :)

Thank You.

Fourteen photos from the beach shoot? There is a heaven, after all.

I've applied to join...*fingers crossed*

If you do remember the name of the beach....that would be nice, too.
DiVicenzo

Post by DiVicenzo »

Oliver Twist wrote:
DiVicenzo wrote:If you join the Ministry of Riggism group at Yahoo under the Photos section there are 14 photos from the beach shoot in various outfits. I did have the name of the beach somewhere - if I find it I'll let you know :)

Thank You.

Fourteen photos from the beach shoot? There is a heaven, after all.

I've applied to join...*fingers crossed*

If you do remember the name of the beach....that would be nice, too.
Well, I have approved you as it is my group :D
I had idea the beach was mentioned in an article in a 1965 newspaper I just bought but it's not but it certainly is mentioned somewhere :D
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Dymchurch, Kent
THE AVENGERS: Who's Who??? (John Moxey: April 1967)
Lola and Basil watch some film of Emma Peel (Diana Rigg) including a sequence of her riding along a beach.

http://avengerland.theavengers.tv/about.htm#dym
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Philippa

Post by Philippa »

Fabulous pictures :D
DiVicenzo

Post by DiVicenzo »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Dymchurch, Kent
THE AVENGERS: Who's Who??? (John Moxey: April 1967)
Lola and Basil watch some film of Emma Peel (Diana Rigg) including a sequence of her riding along a beach.

http://avengerland.theavengers.tv/about.htm#dym

Great! Thanks! Why didn't I think of looking in my Avengerland directory! :?
Oliver Twist
Nutshell

Post by Oliver Twist »

Philippa wrote:Fabulous pictures :D
Yes, it's quite an imaginative session. The photographer really got them moving around and doing stuff. There's one picture in particular that I like, which I ought to post as my signature...