The Avengers being shown in HD?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
timlamb
Thingumajig

The Avengers being shown in HD?

Post by timlamb »

The episodes from series 4-5-6 were remastered in high definition . Have these been shown anywhere on TV in it's native HD formatting. No different than the Star Trek remasters being shown on HD channels in the states.
Johnny O
Winged Avenger

Re: The Avengers being shown in HD?

Post by Johnny O »

timlamb wrote:The episodes from series 4-5-6 were remastered in high definition . Have these been shown anywhere on TV in it's native HD formatting. No different than the Star Trek remasters being shown on HD channels in the states.
No idea if they've been broadcast, but I'm slightly irritated by this news. If they have done a remastering, then inevitably a whole new DVD/Blu Ray release will certainly follow. Which means having bought the VHS tapes, then bought the DVD's and now (or will) have better quality once more, that's a third bucket load of cash to shell out. Maybe the distributors will take pity on us and at least put in some extras - something sadly lacking from the DVD releases.
Last edited by Johnny O on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
supersimon
Thingumajig

Post by supersimon »

Alan on this site indicated that a blu ray release is some way off. I understand that series 6 (TK) has been broadcast in HD somewhere in Europe - France I think
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Johnny O wrote:
timlamb wrote:The episodes from series 4-5-6 were remastered in high definition . Have these been shown anywhere on TV in it's native HD formatting. No different than the Star Trek remasters being shown on HD channels in the states.
No idea if they've been broadcast, but I'm slightly irritated by this news. If they have done a remastering, then inevitably a whole new DVD/Blu Ray release will certainly follow. Which means having bought the VHS tapes, then bought the DVD's and now (or will) have better quality once more, that's a third bucket load of cash to shell out. Maybe the distributors will take pity on us and at least put in some extras - something sadly lacking from the DVD releases.
I'm assuming you're not aware of the new UK DVD's released a year ago with extras containing the new remastered episodes?
NickP
Little Wonder

Post by NickP »

Darren wrote:
I'm assuming you're not aware of the new UK DVD's released a year ago with extras containing the new remastered episodes?
Remastered but NOT HD. High Definition requires Blu-Ray which hasn't been done yet for The Avengers.

HD transfers of The Prisoner and The Persuaders have been issued on Blu-Ray but as far as I know not broadcast (certainly not in the UK).

ITV3 would be the natural home for these series but the only ITV3 HD platform is Sky (it's not available on cable or Freesat).
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

NickP wrote:
Darren wrote:
Remastered but NOT HD. High Definition requires Blu-Ray which hasn't been done yet for The Avengers.

HD transfers of The Prisoner and The Persuaders have been issued on Blu-Ray but as far as I know not broadcast (certainly not in the UK).

ITV3 would be the natural home for these series but the only ITV3 HD platform is Sky (it's not available on cable or Freesat).
shame that it's taking so long to do this...I love my old A & E dvd's...but would welcome the chance to see 'em in HD..or blu-ray, and with some extras please !!!!!!!!!!
Johnny O
Winged Avenger

Post by Johnny O »

Darren wrote:
Johnny O wrote:
You assume right. And as a US viewer, the UK DVDs aren't much use. Regardless, I'm already bristling at the idea that I need to shell out the cash all over again. It's frustrating. Not as bad as the Doctor Who folks though, who are now releasing "special editions" of earlier DVD releases, with a couple of extras thrown in. Next they'll be issuing special editions of the special editions.
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

supersimon wrote:Alan on this site indicated that a blu ray release is some way off. I understand that series 6 (TK) has been broadcast in HD somewhere in Europe - France I think
Quite right. However, it wasn't just the Tara King series but the Emma Peel's too. (on Arte HD)
I've been blessed by The Avengers!
Sinus1994
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Sinus1994 »

JohnSteedFr wrote:
supersimon wrote:Alan on this site indicated that a blu ray release is some way off. I understand that series 6 (TK) has been broadcast in HD somewhere in Europe - France I think
Quite right. However, it wasn't just the Tara King series but the Emma Peel's too. (on Arte HD)
Really? Well, I haven't watched an episode on Arte since the last screening in (I think so) 2010. Is the quality as good as on the latest DVDs? Until now I haven't any time to watch an episode...
(I must find some time to watch it!)

Sincerely yours,
Sinus1994 Image
MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

mousemeat wrote:
NickP wrote:
Darren wrote:

shame that it's taking so long to do this...I love my old A & E dvd's...but would welcome the chance to see 'em in HD..or blu-ray, and with some extras please !!!!!!!!!!
Those A & E DVDs are vastly inferior to the Optimum releases; there really is no going back to them.