The Movie

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
Lando
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Lando »

Great stuff. Thanks for posting!!!
George
Thingumajig

Post by George »

I've only seen this movie once, and I think that was back in the late 90s, when It actually came out. I do have it on DVD, but it hasn't got all that many special features at all since the DVD version I have is the 1999/2000 version. I wonder if there has been a release with loads of extra features?

From what I can remember, I was a little disappointed with the film, but there are great elements of stuff in this, like the introduction scene in the village with Steed. I really should watch this movie/film again and see what I think of it now. I know I was not all that happy that Steed only got to wear one black bowler, and not any other colours to match his different coloured suits, like he did in the TV series.

I wonder if this would be done again, maybe with Steed and Tara, or perhaps The New Avengers Movie?

Why did they include the character of "Father" in this film?
"Mrs Peel, we're needed"
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

No dvd with special features was released. That's a sad story, after all the excellent scenes from the trailer, we got a vulgar movie.
I don't remember where I had found those anecdotes but apparently, the longer version was shown to a Mexican audience and the result wasn't there and the WB, who didn't enjoy the movie either, decided to release the movie in August 98 instead of June 98. They were not satisfied by the 150 minute film. They really should have watched the TV series before. As a conclusion, the movie was reduced to those poor 98 minutes. :cry: Why selecting Mexicans? :shock:
Seriously, we've never heard about the show's success there...just that it aired there okay but nothing more... :?
It should have been tested with an English audience.
Chechik had filmed a 'beautiful picture', as described in his interviews. I'm personally horrified that higher powers got his movie between their hands and 'slaughtered' it... :evil:

As for Mother, I reacted like you : Why did Mother appear in a Steed/Peel adventure ? It breaks a rule. It was made in order to remind us of the show, using as many references as possible.
I've been blessed by The Avengers!
George
Thingumajig

Post by George »

Its a shame that a recent dvd release with special features hasn't been done.
"Mrs Peel, we're needed"
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

A member from this forum had made this wonderful website, as a tribute to the movie. He had also launched that petition that everyone can find by googling 'The Avengers Movie Petition' (which is aimed at catching the attention of the WB executives) yet it hasn't worked so far, no reply was given. I had signed it several times circa 2007- 2008 and even renewed by signing it again a month ago.
But be sure that the next release will contain additional material or a trailer of the movie, that's perfectly normal, notably on Blu-rays.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

JohnSteedFr wrote:A member from this forum had made this wonderful website, as a tribute to the movie. He had also launched that petition that everyone can find by googling 'The Avengers Movie Petition' (which is aimed at catching the attention of the WB executives) yet it hasn't worked so far, no reply was given. I had signed it several times circa 2007- 2008 and even renewed by signing it again a month ago.
But be sure that the next release will contain additional material or a trailer of the movie, that's perfectly normal, notably on Blu-rays.
we can hope for......extended scenes, out takes, and more....restoring pulled footages.
doing a proper re edit...

could help this film greatly
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

mousemeat wrote:
JohnSteedFr wrote:A member from this forum had made this wonderful website, as a tribute to the movie. He had also launched that petition that everyone can find by googling 'The Avengers Movie Petition' (which is aimed at catching the attention of the WB executives) yet it hasn't worked so far, no reply was given. I had signed it several times circa 2007- 2008 and even renewed by signing it again a month ago.
we can hope for......extended scenes, out takes, and more....restoring pulled footages.

It could and it would ! :wink:
George
Thingumajig

Post by George »

JohnSteedFr wrote:
mousemeat wrote:

It could and it would ! :wink:
Ditto. :D
"Mrs Peel, we're needed"
paulpdjh
Winged Avenger

Post by paulpdjh »

I was quite disappointed by The Avengers movie back in the '90s and haven't bought it on DVD. However, I'd definitely buy it if an extended edition was released. In fact, I'm quite tempted to buy in anyway, as I see some traders on Amazon are selling it for less than £2, including postage! Has anyone watched it recently and thought it had improved with age?
Paul
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

I read the novel a thousand times which changed my mind about the film. Featuring important 'key moments' that were cut, I consider now that it is a good film (not the current version but the 1st project which was planned). :wink:
Those who thought the 'destruction of the Prospero research laboratory' had to be removed were wrong. :x :cry: