The Movie

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
Lando
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Lando »

Question on The Avengers film. Was Nick Meyer involved in the production or early story treatments of the film? Around 1994 or so?
I saw his name in a listing of archive items and it mentions some things for The Avengers. I believe it may be one of Don Macpherson's early scripts.

If anyone knows more about this, I would be very interesting in knowing more.

Thanks!

On The Avengers movie, so no chance we will ever see the full cut of the film?
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

There was a rumour from the late 80's that Mel Gibson had apparently acquired the rights to make a film and Nick Meyer was suggested as a possible director. There was nothing solid about any of it.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Might not be true, but I do like the story I saw recently that many years ago Jerry Weintraub asked Mel Gibson at a party if he like the old Avengers TV series. Gibson said not only did he like it, but he had all the episodes on video. Next day word got around (much to Mr Gibson's surprise) that he was in line to play dandy secret agent John Steed in a big budget Hollywood movie.

I would have to agree with the blogger who said Mel Gibson represents everything that is the opposite of John Steed.

My opinion is, if Mel Gibson was ever in The Avengers, it would have to be the 'other' Avengers so he could be The Incredible Hulk. :)
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
PaulGreaves
Thingumajig

Re: The (dreaded) Movie

Post by PaulGreaves »

Andrew Pixley wrote:Oh, and the music score. I thought that was terrific and was delighted to track down the CD soundtrack.

Then again, I enjoy "Wild Wild West" movie too. And "Virtual Murder". And "The Secret Service". So who am I to judge?
Just started reading this thread from the beginning and came across Andrew's comment. I loved Joel McNeely's score and it's one of my favourite soundtrack CDs.

And I bloody LOVE Virtual Murder! I thought I was the only one who remembered this little gem. I only recently transferred all the episodes over from VHS to DVD. Now I wish Network would get hold of that!
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Virtual Murder

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I vaguely remember this - Avengery/X Files-ish but died after a few episodes. I may have seen just one or two episodes and not really enough to form an opinion. Thirty years ago doesn't help...

Found a Wiki page here
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
PaulGreaves
Thingumajig

Post by PaulGreaves »

It was touted in the press at the time as being 'The Avengers for the 90s' thereby, in one crassly chosen sentence, ensuring it's fate overnight. It was never allowed to become its own show and died after six episodes. A shame.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Murder
Whiskers
Winged Avenger

Post by Whiskers »

Virtual Murder? I'm afraid I don't remember it at all.
Last watched : Intercrime
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Something called Nostalgia Critic reviews the Avengers film with annoying sarcastic loud person. Why is screaming effing and blindsing expletives supposed to be amusing?
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Cariheart
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Cariheart »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Something called Nostalgia Critic reviews the Avengers film with annoying sarcastic loud person. Why is screaming effing and blindsing expletives supposed to be amusing?
Yes, he's clearly passionately pissed over the movie. Shame he has not seen the tv version, maybe then he'd understand that surrealism is a major component of the show & along with the banter- part of the charm.

Subsequently, I'll have to agree with this comical fool that it was a lousy film adaptation.
" I appreciate your ... appreciation."- Mrs. Emma Peel - Escape in Time
Andrew Pixley
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Andrew Pixley »

Whiskers wrote:Virtual Murder? I'm afraid I don't remember it at all.
Check it out if you ever get chance. Absolute gem of a series - imaginative, stylish, witty, fun ... and effectively slaughtered at birth by BBC scheduling.

I can't see it ever getting a commercial release, so hope you enjoy the first episode. Got me hooked!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbWdSiXFjbs

All the best

Andrew