The Movie

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Cariheart wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Something called Nostalgia Critic reviews the Avengers film with annoying sarcastic loud person. Why is screaming effing and blindsing expletives supposed to be amusing?
Yes, he's clearly passionately pissed over the movie. Shame he has not seen the tv version, maybe then he'd understand that surrealism is a major component of the show & along with the banter- part of the charm.

Subsequently, I'll have to agree with this comical fool that it was a lousy film adaptation.
If he'd watched one he might have known deserted streets was pretty much par for the course of the show. It's interesting to hear a point of view from someone who isn't familiar with the episodes though and most critics seem to come to the same conclusion. He was spot on about the "answer the telephone" bit; it doesn't make sense and misses the target completely. Uma Thurman is so bloody useless in that scene too.

The film was made by people that pretended to get the show but really didn't.
Andrew Pixley wrote:
Whiskers wrote:Virtual Murder? I'm afraid I don't remember it at all.
Check it out if you ever get chance. Absolute gem of a series - imaginative, stylish, witty, fun ... and effectively slaughtered at birth by BBC scheduling.

I can't see it ever getting a commercial release, so hope you enjoy the first episode. Got me hooked!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbWdSiXFjbs

All the best

Andrew
I didn't know the full episodes were YouTube - thanks.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Does anyone recall a copy of the Daily Mirror in the late eighties with the front page headline, Strewth Mel to Play Steed?

It referred to Mel Gibson apparently being line up to play Steed.

However, sometime later Gibson admitted he knew nothing about this at the time.
DerekD
Little Wonder

Post by DerekD »

I'm just watching this film again... I'm not sure why.

If you watch it with the sound muted it's not too bad. Even the dialogue isn't that bad... The delivery of the dialogue is absolutely dreadful. It's not banter in the sense of the TV series, instead the main characters simply deliver a series of punchlines to each other as if they're waiting for a laugh after each... No chemistry and so, so unnatural.

Oh well.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

DerekD wrote:I'm just watching this film again... I'm not sure why.

If you watch it with the sound muted it's not too bad. Even the dialogue isn't that bad... The delivery of the dialogue is absolutely dreadful. It's not banter in the sense of the TV series, instead the main characters simply deliver a series of punchlines to each other as if they're waiting for a laugh after each... No chemistry and so, so unnatural.

Oh well.
how true...the film arrived D.O.A. in the States, Warners refused the usual screenings for press /Tv/radio...and went straight into the theatres where
it crashed and burned..badly...
Killerwhale
White Dwarf

It was twenty years today...

Post by Killerwhale »

A lot of water has run under the bridge since August 14, 1998 - exactly twenty years ago today. I very clearly remember catching the ill-fated film on its preview night the day before its release and despite its flaws I've always been rather fond of it. If nothing else, I've always enjoyed spotting the plentiful nods to the original episodes (and wondering whether Ralph or Uma was the most miscast!).

Sad to learn that producer Jerry Weintraub has passed away, which does make me wonder where the film rights now reside. Still with Warner Bros, perhaps? I also spotted Jeremiah Chechik's name as director behind some very entertaining episodes of tv spy comedy drama, Chuck.

No doubt we're no closer to getting any of the lost footage retrieved, not that I expect it would make much difference to its reputation. I'm just glad it made it to dvd and blu-ray, not that I've watched it in years.
Maybe tonight, Uma Peel?
mrspeel01
Thingumajig

Post by mrspeel01 »

Jeremiah Chechik also directed some of the TV series "The Middleman" in 2008. Although based on a comic book series the TV series was more than a nod to the Avengers with even a in-a-similar-vein title sequence. Strangely, Wikipedia fails to mention this, even though Chechik is director on several episodes including the pilot, and clearly puts the Avengers style into his episodes. In one he even draws from his own movie version! How wikipedia don't see the connection is beyond me. But then that says so much about wiki... and how unreliable it can be!
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

You can always edit wikipedia yourself to fill any gaps to the information. Give it a go!
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Avengerholic »

I don't know how many times I've watched this movie, must be literally scores of times, but it wasn't until last night when I watched it for the first time on a 65" Ultra HD TV that I noticed that when Bailey's mini crashes into the field at the end of the wasp chase scene his head is thrown from the car and rolls across the grass :lol:
Rhonda
Epic

Re: It was twenty years today...

Post by Rhonda »

Killerwhale wrote:A lot of water has run under the bridge since August 14, 1998 - exactly twenty years ago today...
I can't believe its over twenty years! I've seen it once; must try it again.
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death