The Avengers Movie on a Desert Island

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

The Avengers Movie on a Desert Island

Post by Avengerholic »

I'd take the movie to a desert island because I never tire of it :)
Last edited by Avengerholic on Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

I hope that last comment is made with irony. If not, it might lead to suicide on the desert island.
Avengerholic

Post by Avengerholic »

Rodney wrote:I hope that last comment is made with irony. If not, it might lead to suicide on the desert island.
Not at all. If I could only take one visual souvenir of the Avengers, I'd take the movie. The question was asked, I gave an honest answer :wink:
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Fair enough, it's just that I've never ever 'met' someone who liked the film before. I have to confess that I have never watched it; I couldn't stand the idea of The Avengers without Macnee as Steed.
Avengerholic

Post by Avengerholic »

Well it's not exactly popular, but that doesn't mean its automatically loathed by everyone (as many wrongly assume or are apparently baffled by). I LOVE IT :wink:
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

The movie was, er, well, not too bad I suppose. Can't believe an Avengers fan would rather pick that over all the classic originals though. Loads wrong with the movie, not least the miscasting of the two leads. The script also lacked the wit of the tv show. The script wasn't original enough, merely a blown-up version of a surfeit of H20 IMHO. If only they'd have done a better job on the movie there would certainly have been more of them. Maybe a return to the small screen. Dr Who seems to be going from strength to strength on its return. I think the movie which didn't truly capture the original is partly to blame for where we all stand today, which is sadly a doubtful return of The Avengers.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Certainly my father, who was at the premiere along with other Avengers 'staff', felt that it was so abysmal that it would spell the end to any hope of re-making the series on tv. I'm still not convinced that remakes (or a new series) is necessary anyway. We have enough great episodes to keep us entertained in the depths of winter. Dr Who is different. It doesn't need a particular cultural context (e.g. 1960s). It is great to see it back, although Jon Pertwee will always be my favourite Doctor. However, we digress. I don't think one can allow the film on the desert island. The idea was to choose an episode from the various seasons of The Avengers or The New Avengers on tv.
kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

I've been seriously considering watching the movie, simply out of idle curiousity. I just don't know if I could stand it though. First off, simply because I just don't like the idea of recreating old characters with new actors and second, the majority of the reviews have been so bad that I'd hate to waste valuable time and money on a movie I'm going to end up turning off after half an hour.

So should I give it an attempt or just thank whatever higher power there is that I have't subjected myself to a travesty?
Every parent has a favorite child. Usually the child belongs to the neighbors.
Avengerholic

Post by Avengerholic »

Rodney wrote:I don't think one can allow the film on the desert island. The idea was to choose an episode from the various seasons of The Avengers or The New Avengers on tv.
You don't think you can allow it ! Why ? Has there been some white Government paper drawn up ! Oh Well at least you've made me laugh :lol:
Last edited by Avengerholic on Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

kim wrote:So should I give it an attempt or just thank whatever higher power there is that I have't subjected myself to a travesty?
Kim, I think you should watch it. I bought mine on DVD for pennies. It's just a dumb Hollywood remake, like the Saint remake was - only not as good.

It's not so much a bad movie, as a boring one (and laughably miscast). It's not part of The Avengers, just a costly experiment.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY