League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century: 2009

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
Brisco
Nutshell

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century: 2009

Post by Brisco »

There's another pretty major Avengers comic event going on besides the upcoming ongoing Steed & Mrs. Peel series from Boom! We already saw a young Emma Peel (or Emma Night at the time, with no "K" to skirt any copyright issues) in Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Black Dossier a few years ago (I know there's a thread about that somewhere on here, but I can't find it now); now there are more pretty substantial Avengers appearances in his latest, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century: 2009. I won't give away the specifics here because it's fun to be surprised, but if you're not already sold on buying the comic, you can read about them on my blog here:
http://doubleosection.blogspot.com/2012 ... inary.html
I will say that I found it very satisfying and in some ways even sweet as a coda to The Avengers. Moore is clearly an Avengers fan, so these characters get treated much better than poor James Bond and Harry Potter (both of whom also appear here)... for whom he's obviously got no love at all.
Go beyond The Avengers! Visit my spy blog, The Double O Section.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Thanks for summing that up, Brisco--it does sound like a great little Avengers tribute! I often wish I could read Moore's stuff, as he sprinkles pop culture references through his work in a way I know I'd love, but his graphic novels are just too, well, graphic for my tastes. So it's great that you've summarised it for us who won't be reading! :D
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I'm familiar with the Double O Section website. I like it a lot.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:I'm familiar with the Double O Section website. I like it a lot.
Me, too--there's lots of great stuff on there. Keep it up, Brisco! :D

Brisco
Nutshell

Post by Brisco »

Thanks, guys! I'm very glad to hear you like the site.

I know what you mean, Timeless A-Peel, about Moore's work. He definitely can't resist those graphic moments, and there are certainly some in this issue.
Go beyond The Avengers! Visit my spy blog, The Double O Section.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Yes, Alan Moore is a truly principled English eccentric and as such I suppose we can't cherry-pick the bits we like best. Read his Wikipedia page sometime. His biography is eye-opening at times - unless I'm very easily shocked.

"Purdey is a clever amalgamation of Purdey and Joanna Lumley's Absolutely Fabulous character Patsy" and Cathy "owes something to another famous Honor Blackman spy character: she "has some experience as a flight instructress" as well as some lesbian tendencies!" Emma says, "I suppose it's that we all used to be in love with the same man."

Looks good. I might seek it out.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Brisco wrote:Thanks, guys! I'm very glad to hear you like the site.

I know what you mean, Timeless A-Peel, about Moore's work. He definitely can't resist those graphic moments, and there are certainly some in this issue.
It's a great site! I trawl through it regularly--it's my first source for news on a lot of stuff. :D

It's a shame, because I think I'd probably enjoy Moore otherwise, particularly the League stories. But I'm just not keen on really brutal violence, and I have a particular problem with illustrated/animated blood and gore--it turns my stomach more than when it's on a screen, for some reason. If anyone does pick it up, though, I'd love to see a scan showing how Moore's take realised the Avengers ladies.

(That said, I sympathise with him in this whole Before Watchmen debacle. I've not even read the comic, and even I can see that they're beating the property to death. :roll: )

Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:"Purdey is a clever amalgamation of Purdey and Joanna Lumley's Absolutely Fabulous character Patsy" and Cathy "owes something to another famous Honor Blackman spy character: she "has some experience as a flight instructress" as well as some lesbian tendencies!"
Ouch. Bit snide towards her dead husband, then!
Last watched: "The Outside-In Man"