Essential Avengers magazines

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I've got the first three, don't recall seeing the comics one. Intriguing. There's an early issue of Doctor Who Monthly magazine that has an interview with Dennis Spooner. I am sure Starburst magazine must have had some Avengers features over the years (especially in the mid-80s when Channel 4 started nation-wide repeats in the UK).
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

Leafing through doing a quick page count:

Issue 3 (not 2 as I mistakenly said above) has a total of 7 pages, plus a paragraph or two on "Christmas Trees".
Issue 8 - 4 pages on Avengers cars.
Issue 13 - 6 pages on locations.
Issue 19 - an impressive 13 pages on Brian Clemens including a catalogue of his TV work, although of course this isn't exclusively Avengers.
Issue 20 - 5 pages about Tony Williamson, including a list of his writing credits (again not all Avengers).
Issue 21 - is a comic exclusive with The Avengers getting one or two mentions.

All the articles come with copious illustrations, on average two per page.

Hope this helps.

~iw
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Anthony McKay of this parish (and Avengerland fame) was the editor of Time Screen so it's good mto see he got Avengers stuff in there, not surprising that there was an article on locations. Presumably the interest that led to the article resulted in continuing to research and develop what became the Avengerland guide?
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

cyberrich wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Speed Six wrote:I also have some of those Avengers Files magazine/digest/book/whatever you call them that John Peel put together. I wouldn't classify them as essential, though.
I haven't got these. Everything I've read about them has been less than complimentary. Are they really that bad :?: Rich.
close..but not unbearable
Mike's Gambit
Nutshell

Post by Mike's Gambit »

Still reading my way through the various Forum topics. And enjoying every minute! I was looking for somewhere concerning magazines with a New Avengers inclusion and this seems the best place (if there's anything better, my apologies for uploading here and if the subject matter has been seen before then admin, feel free to delete this!).

Missing the second annual, sadly.
"Brown hyphen Fitcth. Is the Fitcth spelt with a small F or a big one?"
"A big F."
"It suits you."
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

I've got three of those in your photo. The TV times souvenir is the BEST Avengers magazine ever! 8) I haven't got the mag in the top left hand corner. What is the New Avengers article like in this one :?: Rich.
Mike's Gambit
Nutshell

Post by Mike's Gambit »

Thanks, Cyberrich. The top left TV ZONE (#54) is from May 1994 and is really just a three-page interview with Gareth Hunt by John Porter. Opening with his work on Doctor Who, going on to a brief synopsis of The Avengers and TNA. Then how he got the role of Gambit, the atmosphere on set and how he played the character. The working relationship with Joanna, his favourite episode (Target!), stunt work, how he might have got the part of Bodie when The Professionals came along, brief mention of several film and TV roles, wanting to do a follow-up project with Joanna and the Avengers book he had in the pipeline. The final paragraph reveals that the interview had taken place over the phone whilst Gareth was in the bath!

I've added pics of the pages so you can 'see' the article, too...

"A big F."
"It suits you."
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

Pretty amazing to be able to read the magazine. What year did that come out? :lol: Looks to be maybe 15 years after the show came out?
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Mike's Gambit
Nutshell

Post by Mike's Gambit »

The top left TV ZONE (#54) is from May 1994 and is really just a three-page interview with Gareth Hunt by John Porter.
"A big F."
"It suits you."
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Many thanks for posting the article. :) It's interesting that Gareth might have got the Bodie part. I didn't know that, but I did know Lewis Collins screen tested for Mike Gambit alongside Gabriella Drake testing for 'Charlie'. I'd love to see that screen test :!: Gareth's screen test was with Joanna, and the rest as they say, was history! Rich.