The Avengers in Audioland

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
Borgus Weems
Winged Avenger

The Avengers in Audioland

Post by Borgus Weems »

1) Are there any audio-only Avengers adventures that were made during any of the series with any of the original cast? For example, there was a Tom Baker Doctor Who audio adventure in the 70's, and the original cast of Johnny Quest did a storybook adventure on LP right after the original cartoon run.

2) Has anybody considered doing any new audio adventures (like Big Finish does with Doctor Who) with whatever original cast would be up to record some?
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

It's been discussed before as something we'd like to see happen, but no there's never been any audio Avengers episodes apart from the South African series.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

I would love it if someone did another Avengers radio series, even if they had to recast the characters (the South African radio series proved that recasting the characters could work). Perhaps one day we'll see something, but no, nothing thus far.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

The Modesty Blaise BBC adaptation might lead to something. Hopefully further radio adaptations of MB (which seems possible) which might make someone think of another similar lady and her partner who also had adventures in the 60's.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Yes, there's been a Sapphire and Steel audio series, so why not The (New New) Avengers? Maybe the rights are too expensive.
Last watched: "The Charmers"
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Possibly. Or that someone hasn't bothered. The Modesty Blaise one was a surprise so who knows!
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

I'd cite both the rights and no one bothering, but they've let the comic book through, so maybe there's hope. I still think audio, comics, and novels would be the best way to continue the series, as opposed to another TV show. Hopefully somebody will twig. :)

Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

If we were talking about Bond or Doctor Who - The Avengers 60's contemporaries - there is always a market out there for new productions. Doctor Who is the highest rated show (drama) on British TV and Skyfall has broken records at the box office.

On the other hand The Avengers appears to be disenfranchised. Apart from a disastrous film version 13 years ago (I suddenly feel old) and the DVDs reissues there is no authorised product and instead has to be reliant on keen individuals and fans of the show to bring out a comic book or a calendar or a 50th anniversary event, which is probably the way I prefer it.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:If we were talking about Bond or Doctor Who - The Avengers 60's contemporaries - there is always a market out there for new productions. Doctor Who is the highest rated show (drama) on British TV and Skyfall has broken records at the box office.

On the other hand The Avengers appears to be disenfranchised. Apart from a disastrous film version 13 years ago (I suddenly feel old) and the DVDs reissues there is no authorised product and instead has to be reliant on keen individuals and fans of the show to bring out a comic book or a calendar or a 50th anniversary event, which is probably the way I prefer it.
There something about the smaller fandoms that makes them more special, isn't there? Makes every new development or piece of merchandise that much more special, whereas with shows like Doctor Who, the amount of stuff coming out all the time is almost overwhelming. There's no way you could keep track of it all, so it loses something. I think that's part of the reason I'm always drawn to smaller fandoms. The community's more intimate, and you can really savour things like the new DVD releases. :)

mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:Yes, there's been a Sapphire and Steel audio series, so why not The (New New) Avengers? Maybe the rights are too expensive.
maybe..but perhaps the 'red' tape in getting permission to do so, far exceeds the cost..