Rocky Taylor

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Rocky Taylor

Post by Frankymole »

I've just seen my favourite Cybernaut on "Russell Howard's Good News" in a repeat from 2011 (a stand-up comedy show, but with a "mystery guest" spot where Rocky got to talk about his career and then stage a bar room brawl with the young host of the programme - who broke a finger during the scene but carried on regardless!)

For someone with so many decades of work - he's still working on films now! - it's not surprising that he was older and portlier than in the days he doubled as Steed, but it's great to see him and he was very recognisable as Mitchell from "Escape in Time", especially when he smiled and looked years younger as a result :)
Last watched: "Concerto"
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Thanks for posting that about Rocky, Franky! :D I've just done a bit of Googling. Good to see he's still out there working. He is still recognisable from Escape in Time--the eyes are very distinctive. :)

Rocky, of course, played the Cybernaut in Last of the Cybernauts, and ended up tumbling down that flight of stairs on a late evening when an exhausted Gareth mistimed a blow and actually hit him. Gareth was just sick about it, but Rocky came through it all right. I believe he actually used to double for Gareth as well--on his website, he lists "All of The New Avengers" in his credits, so I think he might have actually doubled for both of them when needed, which I can see happening--in stunt world, it doesn't matter if the two actors had completely different builds, so long as they're both in the six foot range and have dark hair, they make it work. :wink:

Did Rocky mention any of his Avengers work when he was interviewed?
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Thanks for posting that about Rocky, Franky! :D I've just done a bit of Googling. Good to see he's still out there working. He is still recognisable from Escape in Time--the eyes are very distinctive. :)

Rocky, of course, played the Cybernaut in Last of the Cybernauts, and ended up tumbling down that flight of stairs on a late evening when an exhausted Gareth mistimed a blow and actually hit him. Gareth was just sick about it, but Rocky came through it all right. I believe he actually used to double for Gareth as well--on his website, he lists "All of The New Avengers" in his credits, so I think he might have actually doubled for both of them when needed, which I can see happening--in stunt world, it doesn't matter if the two actors had completely different builds, so long as they're both in the six foot range and have dark hair, they make it work. :wink:

great career...I'm sure he has many interesting tales...to share...and maybe one day, he will..
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Thanks for posting that about Rocky, Franky! :D I've just done a bit of Googling. Good to see he's still out there working. He is still recognisable from Escape in Time--the eyes are very distinctive. :)

I can't remember but it was a very short interview so I don't think so (maybe just in a list of shows/films) - stuff like Bond always gets the main attention, maybe the repeats will eventually include a "director's cut" and we'll hear about all his shows; it seems to be on the "Dave" comedy channel on rotation every few months.

Interesting to hear about the hit from Gareth. All part of the job for stunters - I recall some of those who worked on 60s BBC shows complaining how the actors when tired or under-rehearsed (or just over-enthusiastic) would take lumps out of the stunt guys with swords etc...

Rocky took hits from a good few bottles, stools/chairs, and a leap though a window just on that Russell Howard show, so at his age he's a thoroughly good sport.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I didn't realise it was on Dave. I suffered the pain of Russell Howard on BBC iPlayer waiting for Rocky's interview. :lol:
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Frankymole wrote:I can't remember but it was a very short interview so I don't think so (maybe just in a list of shows/films) - stuff like Bond always gets the main attention, maybe the repeats will eventually include a "director's cut" and we'll hear about all his shows; it seems to be on the "Dave" comedy channel on rotation every few months.

Interesting to hear about the hit from Gareth. All part of the job for stunters - I recall some of those who worked on 60s BBC shows complaining how the actors when tired or under-rehearsed (or just over-enthusiastic) would take lumps out of the stunt guys with swords etc...

Rocky took hits from a good few bottles, stools/chairs, and a leap though a window just on that Russell Howard show, so at his age he's a thoroughly good sport.
Ah, yes, if there's a Bond link, they usually highlight that, and so many people who worked on the Avengers did something on Bond as well.

Both Gareth and Joanna recounted the hit (Purdey was in the scene as well, of course, though she doesn't tangle with the Cybernaut as much as Gambit does). I think fatigue was a factor more often than not. When Honor took out Jackie Pallo, it was in similar circumstances--late at night, after multiple takes, when exhaustion had set in. Joanna actually kicked one of the stuntmen once, too, hard enough that she hurt her foot. The stuntpeople usually shake it off, but all three of them felt pretty terrible about it, even though it was always an accident. Really, it's a miracle that there weren't more accidents than there were considering that the safety precautions were next to nil.

Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

As no-one seems to have uploaded Rocky's interview (only the fight scene where Howard breaks his finger), there's this one instead!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1-mhcVkAgo
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Frankymole wrote:As no-one seems to have uploaded Rocky's interview (only the fight scene where Howard breaks his finger), there's this one instead!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1-mhcVkAgo
Thanks, Franky. That was a nice little snippet. :)

mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:I didn't realise it was on Dave. I suffered the pain of Russell Howard on BBC iPlayer waiting for Rocky's interview. :lol:
I've read that Howard isn't held in the highest regard in some circles in the UK.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

That's the subjective nature of comedy. For every comic, I've met someone who disliked her or him.

Even Billy Connolly!