Steedumbrella: The Avengers in Russia

Brollies, bowlers and boots (kinky, of course) are just a mouse click away. Tell us what Avengerish things you have found on the web.
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Frankymole wrote:Yes, that's an excellent one. Unusual to see "The Sweeney" in black and white, may be a clever reference to its monochromatic title sequence photos.
Maybe. It’s smart to do the symmetry for the black and white color as for Patrick and Sweeney, although there is no symmetry for colors with regard to images with buildings. :) Well, I like this idea. :D
mousemeat wrote:wow, a wealth of some interesting releases...unlike here in the States, virtually el-zippo....and yeah, the covers do look better...perhaps better access to images, and /or/better graphic designer, or art dept.
Yes, it is strange that there have been few music releases in the US for European TV themes, given their wide market. :shock: In the European market, only Great Britain and France shone, while the rest issued occasional releases in this area. Alas, in the USSR and Russia there was not a single release with the Avengers theme on any licensed physical medium, and in Internet years, when physical media have gone down in history for a mass consumer, it seems that we can almost forget about interesting releases that might come out (interesting releases now are in self-publishing and for collectors, but who knows how many physical media collectors will be in the next generation).

Although licensed CD editions with the Avengers theme are still being released - this year there are two of them (to this day). :wink:
One from France https://arksquare.net/detail.php?cdno=A002108139
Other from UK https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114910106329
Last edited by denis rigg on Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denis
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

mousemeat wrote: wow, a wealth of some interesting releases...unlike here in the States, virtually el-zippo....and yeah, the covers do look better...perhaps better access to images, and /or/better graphic designer, or art dept.
Yes, the access to images might depend on budget. Some of the "soundtrack of 1965" type releases seem to use generic fashion shoots etc, rather than the real telly stars. Even some of the "Cult TV" releases have some random no-names too, if they even have photos. I guess ITV wanted something more prestigious than a budget branding for its 50th anniversary promotional stuff.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:
mousemeat wrote: wow, a wealth of some interesting releases...unlike here in the States, virtually el-zippo....and yeah, the covers do look better...perhaps better access to images, and /or/better graphic designer, or art dept.
Yes, the access to images might depend on budget. Some of the "soundtrack of 1965" type releases seem to use generic fashion shoots etc, rather than the real telly stars. Even some of the "Cult TV" releases have some random no-names too, if they even have photos. I guess ITV wanted something more prestigious than a budget branding for its 50th anniversary promotional stuff.

i would concur on that..100 %
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

CDs from 2006 (only 5 editions for this year):

https://steedumbrella.ru/en_CDs_TV_seri ... _2006.html

It might seem like there will be about the same number of Avengers-themed CDs coming out over the next few years, but in fact in 2007 more than ten CDs were released with. :D
Denis
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

denis rigg wrote:CDs from 2006 (only 5 editions for this year):

https://steedumbrella.ru/en_CDs_TV_seri ... _2006.html

It might seem like there will be about the same number of Avengers-themed CDs coming out over the next few years, but in fact in 2007 more than ten CDs were released with. :D
so, was there any year, that had a high number of avengers themed cd's out in the market place ?
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

1998 is the undisputed champion with a noticeable lead over the rest of the years. All thanks to the numerous CDs for the movie The Avengers (some discs had bonuses with the classic series theme).
Denis
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

denis rigg wrote:1998 is the undisputed champion with a noticeable lead over the rest of the years. All thanks to the numerous CDs for the movie The Avengers (some discs had bonuses with the classic series theme).
Denis, I forgot that the movie came out in 1998...and the market place was poised to meet the demand , especially if the film was a box office monster..but sadly, it was a huge flop..and cooled down interest in the series, somewhat..I will be fair, and comment that the film was edited down,(quite a bit) from the director's original cut....I understand close to 45 mins got lopped off...and there is NO PLANS from Warner Bros, to go in and do a director's cut..with the restored footages...One can only hope that Criterion, or Shout Factory (U.S.) would do it, and in blu-ray....but there was a good cross section of music from the series / movie that came out in that time period.
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

mousemeat wrote:
denis rigg wrote:1998 is the undisputed champion with a noticeable lead over the rest of the years. All thanks to the numerous CDs for the movie The Avengers (some discs had bonuses with the classic series theme).
Denis, I forgot that the movie came out in 1998...and the market place was poised to meet the demand , especially if the film was a box office monster..but sadly, it was a huge flop..and cooled down interest in the series, somewhat..I will be fair, and comment that the film was edited down,(quite a bit) from the director's original cut....I understand close to 45 mins got lopped off...and there is NO PLANS from Warner Bros, to go in and do a director's cut..with the restored footages...One can only hope that Criterion, or Shout Factory (U.S.) would do it, and in blu-ray....but there was a good cross section of music from the series / movie that came out in that time period.
Exactly, Nick. For example, I always thought that even though the narrow circle of people had the impression that the original version of the movie was a failure (and film was cut), it could still be much better than what we have. The trailer for the movie, which includes cut material, looks tempting. One of the main questions is, how many real Avengers fans were there who evaluated the original cut of the movie? If a minority (and most likely it was), then they were simply guided by a banal marketing rule for blockbusters - cut out all unnecessary and make the movie as dynamic and entertaining as possible for the majority.
Yes, releasing a more complete version of the movie could change the attitude to it - it's strange that the studios don't go for it.
Denis
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

denis rigg wrote:
mousemeat wrote:

Exactly, Nick. For example, I always thought that even though the narrow circle of people had the impression that the original version of the movie was a failure (and film was cut), it could still be much better than what we have. The
trailer for the movie, which includes cut material, looks tempting. One of the main questions is, how many real Avengers fans were there who evaluated the original cut of the movie? If a minority (and most likely it was), then they were

simply guided by a banal marketing rule for blockbusters - cut out all unnecessary and make the movie as dynamic and entertaining as possible for the majority.
Yes, releasing a more complete version of the movie could change the attitude to it - it's strange that the studios don't go for it.

Again, you are spot on with your assessment...and it's been noted that the director told Warners, he would re edit, and restored the missing footages for free. instead of charging for his time, etc....and sadly, Warners has zero interest in doing this...and again, I'm hoping that some company like Critetion, Shout Factory, Kino-Lober, would license the film, and give it a proper release after 20 plus years..
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

CDs from 2007 (10 editions for this year posted on the website):

https://steedumbrella.ru/en_CDs_TV_seri ... _2007.html

Earlier I wrote that there are more than 10 CD editions with the Avengers theme for 2007 (as it was on old Steedumbrella page), but it turned out that three CDs were of a different year of release. Two French ones released earlier (a source indicated incorrect information about some releases - these CDs will soon be posted on a separate page along with some other editions, the year of release of which is still unknown) and one from 2018. However, it is easy to suggest that there could be rare CDs with the Avengers theme in 2007, so there may actually be more than 10 editions. :D

As for the front covers, we go back to the 1990s, where there were many commemorative images. :P I love almost all front covers from CDs with Avengers theme in 2007, my favorite is below:

I also published some large scans for different editions and the booklet from The Music Of Laurie Johnson: TV And Film Themes & Concert Hall Work.

https://steedumbrella.ru/files/The_Musi ... ooklet.pdf

I also first heard a curious variation on the Avengers theme from "Beach Bellydance Babylon" album. This guitar meditation starts at 2:11. :D
https://steedumbrella.ru/audio/Theme_fr ... engers.mp3
Last edited by denis rigg on Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denis