The House that Jack built - Review

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
cyberrich
Site Admin

The House that Jack built - Review

Post by cyberrich »

On another thread I've been reading which Avengers episodes you've all been enjoying. I've noticed that everyone seems to watch random episodes. Much as I used to do. Now that I've managed to acquire all episodes from The Frighteners to Emily, I watch roughly one a week in the order they were originally shown. A bit predictable, but then this way I get to see them all. For the last 20 weeks or so I've been watching the Mrs Peel monochrome season. The best season of television ever made. This week it was The House that Jack built's turn. This is vintage stuff, though it seems to divide many on this forum. Not big on dialogue admittedly, but there was so much to enjoy in this episode. The set was very inventive for uk tv in 1966. I thought it had a tremendous atmosphere thanks in no small part to Diana Rigg's performance. She was on screen for roughly 90% of the episode and still managed to involve this particular viewer totally. I can't think of another actress on tv apart from Honor of course, who would have been able to achieve this.
I'd love to know how others rate this one. Next week I'll have a look at A sense of history and give you my verdict.
Q; Were you paying attention? What was the name of the character who designed the house that entraps Mrs Peel? No peeking.
RATING; 3RD BEST SEASON 4 EPISODE. SCORE; 10 OUT OF TEN.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

I think that the only reason it is not near the top of everyone's list is that it is so dark that it lacks the humour necessary to make it a 'vintage' episode. It is beautifully directed, the set is great and I love some of the details in the house such as the preserved body of the mastermind - based on a real historical figure who asked to be preserved. The weird scout character adds an eccentric touch. I think I prefer The Joker which has a similar brooding atmosphere. However, The House that Jack Built is wonderfully creepy and disturbing. As you say, the best series ever (Season 4). I think next week's episode which you will be watching is by a long way the worst of the lot, along with The Man Eater. Two blips in what is overall an outstanding season.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Rodney wrote:It is beautifully directed, the set is great and I love some of the details in the house such as the preserved body of the mastermind - based on a real historical figure who asked to be preserved.
I'm guessing you mean Jeremy Bentham, the utilitarian, who's still attending meetings at University College in London? I wondered if it was based on him. It's a very Avengersish idea, so it fits quite well.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Rodney wrote:It is beautifully directed, the set is great and I love some of the details in the house such as the preserved body of the mastermind - based on a real historical figure who asked to be preserved.
I'm guessing you mean Jeremy Bentham, the utilitarian, who's still attending meetings at University College in London? I wondered if it was based on him. It's a very Avengersish idea, so it fits quite well.
ah, I never made the connection between Keller and Jeremy Bentham before...
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Both Clemens and my father used interesting historical figures for Avengers ideas. The idea of the soil in Cornish graveyards making subsequent autopsies impossible (Mandrake) was also based on truth, from a famous medical man's autobiography. Sometimes truth is as odd as fiction.
Artanis
Winged Avenger

Post by Artanis »

I like the episode because it has a great psychological plot and Keller's house is one of the best sets in the whole series. It's great to watch how Emma doesn't panic but figures out what's going on and how to stop it, though she is very happy to see Steed at the end. We even learn a little about her past. Also, Pongo is another one of those crazy characters that exist only in Avengerland. This is my second favorite episode from season 4.
Allen
kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

The House That Jack Built actually is very close to the top of my list as well as The Joker and Too Many Christmas Trees.

Seeing some of the titles that people are mentioning is reminding me that I haven't really watched the show in quite some time and there are a great many episodes I've missed. I think I'm overdue for a visit to Amazon.. :wink:
Every parent has a favorite child. Usually the child belongs to the neighbors.
Prendergast
Thingumajig

Post by Prendergast »

One of my top episodes as well. Disturbing and almost difficult to watch alone!
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

It's the work of original Avengers director Don Leaver that makes this episode for me. It's an episode that really capitalises on the monochrome visuals with the fabulous black and white corridors in the house. I'm fairly sure that this episode gave me nightmares back in the 80's when I watched it as a child on Channel 4.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Yes, Don Leaver's direction brings the episode to a higher dimension and actually manages to convey the impression that the set was better made than it really was. You can certainly see a Hitchcock influence in this episode, as in The Joker.