Full Cast Audios of the Lost Avengers Episodes

Discussion of Big Finish Avengers releases including The Lost Episodes and Steed and Mrs Peel.
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Ha! I assumed so. But why can Big Finish use the original scripts and recast the whole show on audio, but no one would be able to do the same on video or TV?

(Not that I particularly WANT a new Avengers show - just that it's an interesting issue.)
Spaceship Dispatcher
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Spaceship Dispatcher »

The rights are still owned by the copyright holder and Big Finish only produce the audios under license; they haven't actually acquired anything.
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:The rights are still owned by the copyright holder and Big Finish only produce the audios under license; they haven't actually acquired anything.
Same question, though. Would it be impossible (or difficult) for TV show or web-series to license The Avengers and produce the first season scripts as actual TV episodes, rather than just the audios? Why would that be any more difficult than what Big Finish is doing? (There's tons of reasons no one should TRY to do that, just wondering if it was possible). Given that we've speculated on what would entail a reboot/revival of The Avengers, it seems that making first season scripts as TV shows would be an interesting project.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Lhbizness wrote:Can't get shirtless Steed on the radio, no matter how good the production values. :wink:

Now, that would be interesting as well: take the scripts and make a TV show out of them. It would bring back the visual element. There are probably a lot of licensing or rights barriers to that, but still.
You've triggered a thought, I'd love to see a small theatrical company get the rights to do a series of locally-presented plays - being studio-bound it can't be that hard to do Avengers season 1 stories on stage. Probably! If they can do 1960s Douglas Camfield "Dr Who" on stage they can do anything... and the intimate and involving atmosphere of a theatre stage would be a great place to do noir nouvelle. I bet Ian Hendry would be smiling on it.
Last watched: "The Secrets Broker"
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Lhbizness wrote:Same question, though. Would it be impossible (or difficult) for TV show or web-series to license The Avengers and produce the first season scripts as actual TV episodes, rather than just the audios? Why would that be any more difficult than what Big Finish is doing? (There's tons of reasons no one should TRY to do that, just wondering if it was possible). Given that we've speculated on what would entail a reboot/revival of The Avengers, it seems that making first season scripts as TV shows would be an interesting project.
It's a question of scale. No, there's no reason why StudioCanal couldn't or wouldn't license such a TV series, but the problem arises with audience. There is no way that such a television series could recoup its costs because no broadcaster would take it. It's a worthy project, filling the gaps that are there in a culturally important series, but that counts for nothing in the television landscape of today. It wouldn't last five minutes on television, not if done authentically - and if the producers buckled to pressure and made it a sassy, modern production, it would miss the point with people like you and me, the fans.

Big Finish can make it work on audio as they have a consumer base that is loyal, interested in The Avengers and similar programmes for what they were, and are looking for sympathetic continuations or (in the case of The Avengers) recreations. They don't rely on getting a broadcast deal (though occasionally they have struck them with BBC Radio for Doctor Who), just on finding a relatively small but loyal set of listeners who will buy on CD or download.

Take it one step further, make it on video, production costs would higher, licenses would no doubt be more expensive, and they would have to satisfy 'bosses' in a number of organisations (StudioCanal, broadcasters, video labels, etc) and no doubt the product would be compromised as a result.

As it stands, Big Finish have to get the OK for anything they do from StudioCanal, but beyond that they are essentially working in-house to their own agenda.

I would also imagine that from StudioCanal's perspective, the licensing of a series of CDs which reach a small market brings money in without actually screaming to a mainstream audience "this is what The Avengers is", so that somewhere down the line they can produce or license an Avengers television series or film of their own and not have the CDs as a competing image of the series in the minds of a general audience. Stick a 'remade Series 1' on television, and suddenly they've shot their bolt for an Avengers TV series. Possibly.

Sorry if I'm rambling!
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Alan wrote:It's a question of scale. No, there's no reason why StudioCanal couldn't or wouldn't license such a TV series, but the problem arises with audience. There is no way that such a television series could recoup its costs because no broadcaster would take it. It's a worthy project, filling the gaps that are there in a culturally important series, but that counts for nothing in the television landscape of today. It wouldn't last five minutes on television, not if done authentically - and if the producers buckled to pressure and made it a sassy, modern production, it would miss the point with people like you and me, the fans.

Big Finish can make it work on audio as they have a consumer base that is loyal, interested in The Avengers and similar programmes for what they were, and are looking for sympathetic continuations or (in the case of The Avengers) recreations. They don't rely on getting a broadcast deal (though occasionally they have struck them with BBC Radio for Doctor Who), just on finding a relatively small but loyal set of listeners who will buy on CD or download.

Take it one step further, make it on video, production costs would higher, licenses would no doubt be more expensive, and they would have to satisfy 'bosses' in a number of organisations (StudioCanal, broadcasters, video labels, etc) and no doubt the product would be compromised as a result.

As it stands, Big Finish have to get the OK for anything they do from StudioCanal, but beyond that they are essentially working in-house to their own agenda.

I would also imagine that from StudioCanal's perspective, the licensing of a series of CDs which reach a small market brings money in without actually screaming to a mainstream audience "this is what The Avengers is", so that somewhere down the line they can produce or license an Avengers television series or film of their own and not have the CDs as a competing image of the series in the minds of a general audience. Stick a 'remade Series 1' on television, and suddenly they've shot their bolt for an Avengers TV series. Possibly.

Sorry if I'm rambling!

It's the sort of thing that would be well-suited as a web-series via something like Netflix or Hulu, if coupled with streaming deals for the rest of the series itself. But I definitely see why it wouldn't be cost-effective. It just seems to shame that the best we can do is audio, when it's obviously a visual as well as aural script. So when Patrick Macnee popped up with a bowler and brolly to augment the Steed character, we don't really get to see that shift - no one can indicate "bowler and brolly" with his voice.

I mean, I really don't want to see a new Avengers series or anything close to it - and I've made my feelings about the audio productions pretty well known - but it's an interesting notion given the status of the scripts. At the end of the day, what "The Avengers is", to me and probably to a lot of people, is what remains of the original series. There's only one Steed, one Dr. Keel, one Cathy Gale, one Mrs. Peel, one Tara King. I have difficulty thinking of it as an expansive or shifting universe a la James Bond.

I do like Franky's suggestion of a stage show - you could almost produce it without it being technically The Avengers, as very few people know about the first series and its inception (and it bears such little resemblance to what came after).
Jace
Thingumajig

Post by Jace »

Amazon hasn't been able to ship my order of Vol 2 from Big Finish. Does anyone know if there was a delay? Or perhaps a delay for US orders?
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Alan wrote:To be honest, I haven't any problem whatsoever with Steed and Keel being recast for this. In some ways, it will bring the audience in gradually before (hopefully) they start making original audio dramas based on other eras of the show.

Keel is not that well known, even in Avengers fandom, so having a fresh actor playing the part should not be too jarring. Steed of course is a different matter, but I am sure that with sensitive casting, this will not be an issue. Donald Monat has proven it can be done and done well on audio.

I think this is a bold project, starting from a novel angle, and I for one will be supporting it wholeheartedly.
I feel the same way....I wish this project...smashing success
Jace
Thingumajig

Post by Jace »

has anyone in the US received the Vol 2 set? Amazon still can't seem to fill my pre-order. the set is out now, right?

thanks,
-jason (spy vibe)
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Hi Jace,

Yes, nearly two months ago. I ordered directly from Big Finish.

It might be worth you switching your order or contacting Big Finish to ask why Amazon do not appear to have received stocks.

[email protected]

Best,
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger