Total votes: 12

dissolute
The Ministry

1.01 - Hot Snow

Post by dissolute »

Tell us what you think of "Hot Snow"
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

Good question. Given it's the first it is exciting to watch. But alas there is no ending. So one is left in suspense longing to see what happens next. THe worst part was that as soon as the action began, Dr. Keel's fiance is shot, it ends! Whoever found only half an episode at UCLA must be some kind of sadist. Yet it is so wonderful to see any of it.

I thought that although they are introducing us to these new characters, that it dragged a little for the beginning of a show. But from a historical perspective on the show after only having seen the Emma/ Tara years it was truly fascinating and not what I expected at all. It did not look even remotely like the show I was familiar with. I was confused that it all started in a doctor's office. No Steed. The only common thread I could find is that they were English. Seriously it was night and day from what it eventually developed into. It was strange to see that as my first non Emma/Tara episode.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

It's quite a dramatic one with Dr. Keel's colleague congratulating him one minute on their engagement and then the shooting; I felt sad for his fiance and Dr. Keel and anger at the criminals. It's great that we have a bit of the very first one to watch, so I'm giving it an 8 for it's dramatic effect.
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

It's a surreal experience to watch this one, almost like one of those dreams where you know that you're experiencing something but it bares absolutely no resemblance to reality. We have the opening act of The Avengers yet there's virtually nothing that we're familiar with bar Keel and the Theme music.

It's such a miracle that we have this speck of the start.

7/10
Operation E.N.G.L.A.N.D.
Nutshell

Post by Operation E.N.G.L.A.N.D. »

Sadly incomplete, of course, and therefore difficult to reach a meaningful judgment about, but Hendry and Catherine Woodville do portray a young couple madly in love very convincingly, and the shooting scene is suitably suspenseful. The entire scene with Spicer trying to retrieve the package and constantly being interrupted is almost comic, which rather increases the poignancy when you realize that his failure to get it has sealed Peggy’s fate.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Anyone know why IMDB is listing the broadcast date for Hot Snow as March, 2 months after the other early episodes of season 1?

I've submitted a correction, but sheesh.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054518/episodes?season=1
Last watched: "The Secrets Broker"
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

IMDB I think have listed the London TX instead of the Midlands TX.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

I've just updated my episode pages for this and its part two, Brought to Book and after reading the scripts it seems clear - especially from Spicer's confession - that the Big Man in Hot Snow was the Nick Mason character (played by the hulking Charles Morgan) rather than skinny little Robert James.

https://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avenge ... -snow.html
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

dissolute wrote:I've just updated my episode pages for this and its part two, Brought to Book and after reading the scripts it seems clear - especially from Spicer's confession - that the Big Man in Hot Snow was the Nick Mason character (played by the hulking Charles Morgan) rather than skinny little Robert James.

https://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avenge ... -snow.html
That's interesting... but why did they get Robert James to play him then in episode 1 (better voice?) or was it a mis-attribution of credits?

I did wonder why Spicer would've changed sides in the "turf war" by episode 2!
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Oh just a little typo on the brough To Book page, "Steed demures" should probably read "Steed demurs".

Great stuff, I'm reading some stuff about these in Alan Hayes's books, not got the scripts yet though.