No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Rhonda wrote:It's quite a dramatic one with Dr. Keel's colleague congratulating him one minute on their engagement and then the shooting; I felt sad for his fiance and Dr. Keel and anger at the criminals. It's great that we have a bit of the very first one to watch, so I'm giving it an 8 for it's dramatic effect.
I would concur..however, it's sorta a piece of primitive film making in terms of the script and actually murder, etc...really has nothing to do with what eventually became the AVENGERS..YET hot snow, is interesting to watch..on many levels...compare it to even the Cathy Gale, and you can see how the show evolved
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

Yes TV film making was still learning a few things. That the the gun couldn't be heard (even a silencer makes some noise) did reduce the drama outside the jeweller's.
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Frankymole wrote:
dissolute wrote:I've just updated my episode pages for this and its part two, Brought to Book and after reading the scripts it seems clear - especially from Spicer's confession - that the Big Man in Hot Snow was the Nick Mason character (played by the hulking Charles Morgan) rather than skinny little Robert James.

https://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avenge ... -snow.html
That's interesting... but why did they get Robert James to play him then in episode 1 (better voice?) or was it a mis-attribution of credits?

I did wonder why Spicer would've changed sides in the "turf war" by episode 2!
I mean that Robert James is NOT MENTIONED AT ALL in the paperwork and I think Dave Rogers made a guess many years ago that was plain wrong (after all, his plot outlines for thes first two episodes were quite inaccurate).
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Rhonda wrote:Yes TV film making was still learning a few things. That the the gun couldn't be heard (even a silencer makes some noise) did reduce the drama outside the jeweller's.
That's an interesting thing, there are no FX or GRAMS notes in that scene so no gun shot sound effect was ever expected to be used.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

It's covered in the McGinley/Hayes book. There's a script or storyline that specifies the gun was silenced - or it might be a prop list with the script, not sure but some contemporary documentation. It was specified Dr Keel hears no shot.
Last watched: "The Secrets Broker"
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

dissolute wrote: I mean that Robert James is NOT MENTIONED AT ALL in the paperwork and I think Dave Rogers made a guess many years ago that was plain wrong (after all, his plot outlines for thes first two episodes were quite inaccurate).
But Robert James was contracted for the first episode (and Morgan wasn't).... confusing...
Last watched: "The Secrets Broker"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:It's covered in the McGinley/Hayes book. There's a script or storyline that specifies the gun was silenced - or it might be a prop list with the script, not sure but some contemporary documentation. It was specified Dr Keel hears no shot.
what was the title of that McGinley-hayes book....?
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Frankymole wrote:
dissolute wrote: I mean that Robert James is NOT MENTIONED AT ALL in the paperwork and I think Dave Rogers made a guess many years ago that was plain wrong (after all, his plot outlines for thes first two episodes were quite inaccurate).
But Robert James was contracted for the first episode (and Morgan wasn't).... confusing...
Really? Is there paperwork for that? I don't have it in my archive.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

mousemeat wrote:
Frankymole wrote:It's covered in the McGinley/Hayes book. There's a script or storyline that specifies the gun was silenced - or it might be a prop list with the script, not sure but some contemporary documentation. It was specified Dr Keel hears no shot.
what was the title of that McGinley-hayes book....?
Two Against the Underworld, which is a combination of their two earlier books.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

That's right, the vison switches to Peggy and David on the street so I guess the idea is how it would have sounded to them, and the passer by who asks if she's ill. I'm guessing they were afraid of being censored or pushed into an even later time slot if there were an audible shot.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!