No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 28

peabody
Have Fingers... Will Type!

4.23 - The House That Jack Built

Post by peabody »

Discuss, review and rate The House That Jack Built, produced early January 1966 to mid January 1966.

Teleplay by Brian Clemens
Directed by Don Leaver
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

THis was a brilliant episode. Besides Diana Rigg's marvelous performance, the character actor who repeats the rhyme," the House that Jack built" was seriously good. He really looks crazy.
It was brilliant to put another actor in the story to show what could happen to Mrs. Peel next.
His part was so small but so noteworthy. Not too many performances that are that convincing.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
NickP
Little Wonder

Post by NickP »

Undoubtedly one of the best. Decades later I've met people who have not seen The Avengers since the original broadcast but still remember this one.
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Definitely, the masterpiece.
Many russian perceive the season 4 boring and avoid it altogether. It's pretty sadly. However, I noticed that if someone started a preview of the season with of this episode, he has had a chance to delve into it. Thus, I started to show this season for the russian spectators from The House That Jack Built.
The theme of the episode - definetely previously was a win-win for authors. Remember the episodes "Don't Look Behind You" and "Dressed to Kill": suspense in a confined space, mysterious atmosphere and strange characters (for episodes with Cathy Gale, strange characters was rather unusual approach to style early The Avengers) it all are the best examples.
Here the authors again went to this territory and not just given an excellent history, but something innovative - the building with the great mind. I'll tell you, this is not outdate - as fantasia from mad creator just sparkles on the screen even today. Praise to Brian Clemens! Where you can still see it?

I remember the face of Russian teenager who said after watching "It's the best I've seen in my life."
Yes, this is The Avengerworld!

Denis
Topaze
Nutshell

Post by Topaze »

I love this episode.
For me this this is THE atmosphere that makes love the Avengers!
Like The Joker, Epic... :x
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

Topaze wrote:I love this episode.
For me this this is THE atmosphere that makes love the Avengers!
Like The Joker, Epic... :x
Well put Topaze. I love the pics Denis added that remind us. It was brilliant!
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

What prevents it from being an absolute classic for me is the complete lack of humour and the absence of dialogue. Otherwise, wonderfully atmospheric. Subversive, but almost no champagne.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Love it in terms of Emma's solo performance, with excellent acting from Rigg. I wish they'd dispensed with the voiceover, which I always find jarring (and which they thankfully did not use in the similar The Joker). The final scene between her and Steed when he arrives at the house is subtle and lovely, expressing all the affection they obviously have for each other with very few words.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

It's interesting but for similar "Brian Clemens's Thriller" style jeopardy I think The Joker works better.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

I gave 5
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death