No votes
No votes
8%
8%

Total votes: 25

Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

I see that the name Hellfire Club is still in use (in a place annoyingly familiar when searching on-line for our Avengers):

"The Marvel Comics Hellfire Club is a group of highly powerful and elite mutants". It pretty much describes the people in this episode's Hellfire Club too!
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Rhonda wrote:I see that the name Hellfire Club is still in use (in a place annoyingly familiar when searching on-line for our Avengers):

"The Marvel Comics Hellfire Club is a group of highly powerful and elite mutants". It pretty much describes the people in this episode's Hellfire Club too!
LET'S not forget from late 60's, UK Artist Arthur Brown, who recorded on Track records...' I am the God of Hell fire, and I bring you fire'...45....sizzling!
mariocki
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Re: 4.21 - A Touch of Brimstone

Post by mariocki »

There’s going to be a screening of the episode from a 35mm print at the NFT next month, alongside an episode of The Saint. Tickets go on sale on Thursday:

https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/Online/defau ... 497BAEEB00
"No ma'm, I'm a Texan."
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

mariocki wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:51 am There’s going to be a screening of the episode from a 35mm print at the NFT next month, alongside an episode of The Saint. Tickets go on sale on Thursday:

https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/Online/defau ... 497BAEEB00
Great Emma photo on that page.

I really miss going to the NFT. I haven't been this century!
avengers-touch-of-brimstone-01.jpeg
avengers-touch-of-brimstone-01.jpeg (279.4 KiB) Viewed 474 times
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

always loved that picture of Diana, in her Brimstone outfit..really gets the Tongues a wagging...lol.....and I believe that episode was severely edited for American Television, at least for it's repeat...somehow, I believe , it was originally banned by U.S. ABC...and was shown at the Network's U.S. convention, for it's station group...go figure..
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

I could have sworn I read recently that an ITV station trimmed this episode on original broadcast but can I find the reference now? Of course not!
Rediffusion asked for episodes to be shortened to 45 minutes so they could put The Avengers on earlier, at 8pm. Maybe it was them.

Ah, found it. Yes it was Rediffusion, they cut the scene by 38 seconds. Someone told me the other day that that's the version being shown on Hulu.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

dissolute wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:53 am I could have sworn I read recently that an ITV station trimmed this episode on original broadcast but can I find the reference now? Of course not!
Rediffusion asked for episodes to be shortened to 45 minutes so they could put The Avengers on earlier, at 8pm. Maybe it was them.

Ah, found it. Yes it was Rediffusion, they cut the scene by 38 seconds. Someone told me the other day that that's the version being shown on Hulu.
that seems to be a common trait ..shaving time off episodes, to squeeze in..etc....when they knocked off 38 seconds, was it noticeable ?
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

mousemeat wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:47 am
dissolute wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:53 am Ah, found it. Yes it was Rediffusion, they cut the scene by 38 seconds. Someone told me the other day that that's the version being shown on Hulu.
that seems to be a common trait ..shaving time off episodes, to squeeze in..etc....when they knocked off 38 seconds, was it noticeable ?
Yes, apparently the scene ends quite abruptly. The Stage and Television Today was livid about it at the time, ranting about them cutting a minute from the episode, but it seems the shorter 38 seconds is correct.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Which scene was trimmed? Is it censorship of the whipping scene? I've heard that that had to be cut down originally.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

from what I've been led to believe, the whipping scene was edited..of course, when the series first aired in the States, the episode was banned. of course at the yearly ABC network meeting, the episode was 'aired' for corporate ....