No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 27

peabody
Have Fingers... Will Type!

4.16 - The Thirteenth Hole

Post by peabody »

Discuss, review and rate The Thirteenth Hole, produced Monday 6th September 1965 to c. Wednesday 15th September 1965.

Teleplay by Tony Williamson
Directed by Roy Baker
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Re: The Thirteenth Hole

Post by denis rigg »

I know many do not like this episode, but do not take it seriously. It's kind of a parody of the game of golf in Goldfinger. This is a great comedy. We can also enjoy the local scenery, it's not often you see in the show. Here, I love the costumes Steed and Emma Peel, as well as a good sense of humor.

Application: Color photos from the set.

Denis
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

denisrigg wrote:I know many do not like this episode, but do not take it seriously. It's kind of a parody of the game of golf in Goldfinger. This is a great comedy. We can also enjoy the local scenery, it's not often you see in the show. Here, I love the costumes Steed and Emma Peel, as well as a good sense of humor.

Application: Color photos from the set.

i WOULD concur...good script, witty exchanges..and using the golf ball as an weapon...was brilliant...I have always loved this episode...and could never understand why so many 'fans' wanted to disown it...
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

mousemeat wrote:WOULD concur...good script, witty exchanges..and using the golf ball as an weapon...was brilliant...I have always loved this episode...and could never understand why so many 'fans' wanted to disown it...
That was part of the reason I chose it as one of my chapters in Rodney's book. It's a fun episode, but it often "slips through the cracks" in favour of the more famous episodes.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

I enjoyed reading your chapter the other night after watching the episode.

It's a nice outdoorsy episode.

I love the improvised scene inbetween the dialogue when the play the stick game, they do so well to remember the dialogue and stay focused as it would be so easy to mis a cue line.

It's a great episode for Steed feigning ignorance to blindside the villains, with his wonderful way of extending the game of golf through all his use of tools. And later when they expect him to die after putting the ball. dr. Adams digging around in the dirt stalling and then Steed turning up beside him all faux innocent then turning all serious with a arm lock.

Emma's scenes with Donald Hewlitt's character are very amusing as she can barely conceal her boredom and disinterest. Normally she's engaged with people. John Bates very black and white costumes work so well for season 4. It's funny in The Living Dead when Mandy wears Emma's black and white fur coat. It looks so wrong in this colourful episode but in b/w it's perfect. I love her lurking in the bushes and fixing the game.

After her fight with Jackson, she's sees the golf cart ride off with the gun, a strange moment as it would have been easy for her to chase it as it's so close. Her description doesn't quite match what we see. "A mini- tank". No it's a golf cart on a golf course.:)

It got some great music from Laurie Johnson. His scores were particularly listenable at this time in the season (town, Castle, Hour).

Roy Baker is a very dependable director but he does have a quality of being a bit rushed and taking shortcuts.

Whilst it isn't exceptional, it's an episode that I watch just as light, undemanding escapism.

7/10
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Darren wrote:I enjoyed reading your chapter the other night after watching the episode.

It's a nice outdoorsy episode.

I love the improvised scene inbetween the dialogue when the play the stick game, they do so well to remember the dialogue and stay focused as it would be so easy to mis a cue line.

It's a great episode for Steed feigning ignorance to blindside the villains, with his wonderful way of extending the game of golf through all his use of tools. And later when they expect him to die after putting the ball. dr. Adams digging around in the dirt stalling and then Steed turning up beside him all faux innocent then turning all serious with a arm lock.

Emma's scenes with Donald Hewlitt's character are very amusing as she can barely conceal her boredom and disinterest. Normally she's engaged with people. John Bates very black and white costumes work so well for season 4. It's funny in The Living Dead when Mandy wears Emma's black and white fur coat. It looks so wrong in this colourful episode but in b/w it's perfect. I love her lurking in the bushes and fixing the game.

After her fight with Jackson, she's sees the golf cart ride off with the gun, a strange moment as it would have been easy for her to chase it as it's so close. Her description doesn't quite match what we see. "A mini- tank". No it's a golf cart on a golf course.:)

It got some great music from Laurie Johnson. His scores were particularly listenable at this time in the season (town, Castle, Hour).

Roy Baker is a very dependable director but he does have a quality of being a bit rushed and taking shortcuts.

Whilst it isn't exceptional, it's an episode that I watch just as light, undemanding escapism.

7/10
Thanks, Darren. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Steed outdoing the golfers with his golf gear is absolutely priceless. They have absolutely no idea what to do with him, which is, of course, the point. :wink:

Emma misidentifying the golf cart is a bit a of stretch, though it might be one of those cases where the audience can "see" in the dark better than the characters--perhaps all she can see is a vague outline that looks tanklike.

Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

not the best episode but undoubtedly produced the best chapter in Bright Horizons.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Rodders wrote:not the best episode but undoubtedly produced the best chapter in Bright Horizons.
I'm still blushing, Rodney. :D High praise indeed, especially if it made you give the episode another look. :)

Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

I gave 6
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
NickP
Little Wonder

A joke with no punchline.

Post by NickP »

Hmmm. Really I can't find the words. I have given this the lowest mark I have for any episode. The best thing I can say it that it has a good cast, albeit pretty much wasted - especially Peter Jones who for the most part just stands around looking embarrassed.

I can suspend quite a lot of disbelief for TA and can put up with any amount of silliness, but in the end I expect some sort of explanation for what has preceded. Here the denouement was lame in the extreme. A half-believable premise would have lifted my score by a few points.

Disappointing!