No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 34

peabody
Have Fingers... Will Type!

4.13 - The Hour That Never Was

Post by peabody »

Discuss, review and rate The Hour That Never Was, produced Monday 5th July 1965 to Tuesday 20th July 1965.

Teleplay by Roger Marshall
Directed by Gerry O'Hara
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

10/10 :!: Nothing less will do for what is simply the finest hour of television ever produced (though Cybernauts is virtually tied in 1st place). Season 4 is quite simply the best season of TV ever! I never tire of seeing this episode. It has quality and class stamped all over it, and easily matches cinematic releases of 1965. Fantastic set. Deserted air base just about sums up The Avengers, and it's use here creates the most eerie atmosphere of any episode. I wish there had been twice as many episodes in season 4 :!: Rich.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

This episode is Steed and Emma, an atmospheric empty location, great direction, great music and a milk float (with added laughing gas and Roy Kinnear).

10/10
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

A brief survey of the episode and the application.
Very good episode. I like the intro - a original way for the Avengers. When on background of the clock appears the title of the episode, you think it smells like mysticism. :)
This is partly justified - the first half of the mysterious. Where are all the people? (later this idea beaten in the episode "The Morning After" - and no bad) What of ultrasound comes up from nowhere?
Laurie Johnson - well done! Absolutely appropriate musical accompaniment. Also worth to praise of the director and camera operator. The successful combination of medium and long-range plans. Interesting angles.
In the episode involved one of my favorite actors - Roy Kinnear. A brilliant role. The actor, who plays so that you can only look at him.
Also in the episode appeared Cliff Diggins - known British stuntman.
It is always interesting to watch him work.

So, color photos from the set.
In the last two - Diana and Cliff Diggins.

Denis
peabody
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by peabody »

Brilliant photos, Denis. Thanks a lot for posting them!

This is definitely a 10/10 for me. It just oozes atmosphere and has that special, slightly sinister and spooky vibe that I enjoy so much. Superb direction, a fantastic script and great acting all around.

My only minor complaint is the annoying sound of the drill at the end as I have to reach out for the remote to lower the volume at that point... 8)
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

Agree.Those are brilliant pics Denis! And in colour! I love the one with Diana sticking her tongue out at the camera.
Last edited by anti-clockwise on Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

The script isn't bad either, but then I am biased. Director Gerry O'Hara took one look at it and said that this was a 50 minute film, not a television episode.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
denis
Winged Avenger

Post by denis »

Wonderful pictures. Denis thanks Denis :wink:
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Clearly 10/10 and the archetype for many that followed, notably The Morning After, Sleeper and the deserted bases seen in Faces, etc.

Thank you for posting the lovely pictures, Denis!
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

I love the photos but they also remind me why I prefer Avengerland in monochrome: more subtle and atmospheric.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art