No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 19

peabody
Have Fingers... Will Type!

4.07 - The Gravediggers

Post by peabody »

Discuss, review and rate The Gravediggers, produced Mid-March 1965 to c. Wednesday 14th April 1965.

Teleplay by Malcolm Hulke
Directed by Quentin Lawrence
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

This was one of the repeats I saw on holiday in Florida in 92 when I caught so the show and rediscovered it. I loved it back then especially Steed's trip to Sir Horace's and their train lunch.

I sort of ignored it once I discovered more of the show.

Malcolm Hulke's only proper film episode (until shared writing on a later chopped up Bryce episode with Terrance Dicks - Great Great Britain Case (not actually titled Crime, thank you Mr. Pixley for that one). It finally involves the tied to the railway tracks aspect hinted at in writers guide lines for earlier seasons. Horace's story is a fun one, Ronald Fraser probably milks it just a bit too much.

It's one of those rare episodes that has a post title credit scene that doesn't feature Steed and co investigating, there's yet more of the situation that leads them to it.

The miniature railway is a fun way to close the episode. I'm never quite sure if they're trying to make it funny. Ray Austin and Steven Berkoff play that they're enjoying the train ride. Berkoff gets stuck on the wire fence, I'm never sure if this was a bit if comedy or a blooper. The silent film music is a lovely touch with the speeded up film for Dr. Johnson(Canadian Paul Massie playing a bad guy, I was used to him in films like Raising the Wind).

There's the bizarre scene of Berkoff's character in a wheelchair with a fake plastered leg attachment - it makes zero sense in the story.

Benedict Cumberbatch's mum pops up as Nurse Spray, sadly Wanda's only Avengers guest part and she doesn't even get to interact with Steed. We missed out on some prize Macnee flirting there.

Caroline Blakiston gets to be humourless and severe as Matron Thirlwell. Yet another woman for Steed not to interact with, not going well so far. Thankfully Macnee and Blakiston share some great scenes the following season.

On a purely superficial level, Rigg looks radiant throughout, so fresh and porcelain like. Out of her leather gear, the one she wears here is my favourite as it's so well cut. I love the look she gives Steed on "D'you mind if Mrs. Peel goes through the documents". The scene with her disguised as Thirlwell is played with total suspicion during the surgery to ramp up the tension but they don't unmask her, despite brunette hair and blonde hair being no way alike.

The direction from series one timer Quentin Lawrence isn't bad (the speeded up Steed running looks rather naff), he seems to hit the right points. The lighting is quite dark for the funeral parlour.

It's quite a pacey episode and very watchable but more a middling episode with some fun moments.

7/10
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

I gave 8
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Re: 4.07 - The Gravediggers

Post by Frankymole »

"Cast marker plate that was presented by ABC television in 1965 to mark the location where Diana Rigg was tied to the track during filming of the 'Grave Diggers' episode of 'The Avengers'"
Avengersplate.jpg
Avengersplate.jpg (51.41 KiB) Viewed 455 times
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

amazed that no one has NICKED it from the area...
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

haha mousemeat, the plaque is on private land that always has staff members about if it's open to the public
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

dissolute wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:44 am haha mousemeat, the plaque is on private land that always has staff members about if it's open to the public

well.....it only takes a moment...to 'nick' it....and be gonesville.....actually, I'm glad that it hasn't been ' borrowed' over the years..
rob2bob
Nutshell

Post by rob2bob »

A re-watch after many years. Love this episode. A healthy ‘9’.
Sir Horace Winslip with Steed taking a ‘ride’ in the carriage for lunch is so well executed.

I went to Stapleford steam day a few years ago. Definitely worth a visit and to see the spot where Emma was tied up!
(Plaque you see only via the minature railway by the Lakeside junction.)

As a child we used to go here in the late 60s and early 70s when it was also a lion reserve 🦁! The extent of the miniature railway is not as extensive as it was then but brought back many happy memories… now layered with an Avengers vibe!

Below is a link to their website. I see their website has a link to an old Avengers website. Maybe chance to get a link to this one too?
https://fsmr.co.uk/

Only open to public 2 weekends a year. More details here:
https://fsmr.co.uk/#

A couple of pictures… I resisted uploading a picture of me on the train lol.
The first photo is the spot on the track (right) where the train pulled onto the left hand track and missed Emma when Steed switched the points.
The second photo shows 2 engines pulling on my visit. The second, number 751 previously named John O Gaunt (now named John H Gretton), is the locomotive that was used in the filming.
Attachments
IMG_3166.jpeg
IMG_3166.jpeg (773.95 KiB) Viewed 394 times
IMG_3164.jpeg
IMG_3164.jpeg (845.68 KiB) Viewed 425 times
Last edited by rob2bob on Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:28 am, edited 5 times in total.
“agreeable, well-rounded, and a little on the flinty side”; some say “venerable, devious, and a little ambivalent”
rob2bob
Nutshell

Post by rob2bob »

Bonus post: NOW & THEN

A picture I took in 2014 (train is literally rolling over the track where Emma was tied at this point) and an image just before the end credits.
Attachments
IMG_3173.jpeg
IMG_3173.jpeg (906.7 KiB) Viewed 391 times
IMG_4978.jpeg
IMG_4978.jpeg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 391 times
“agreeable, well-rounded, and a little on the flinty side”; some say “venerable, devious, and a little ambivalent”
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Brilliant pictures and memories! Thanks for posting them.
Last watched: "Mandrake"