No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 39

denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Special updating on Steedumbrella, dear fans - episode page "Too Many Christmas Trees". :D

https://translate.google.ru/translate?s ... edit-text=

Original:

http://steedumbrella.ru/episode_83.html

A nice addition to the episode page was a review of Olga Svecharnik. :D
Years ago I translated into English the review by Olga for the episode Joker, which turned quite thoughtful and interesting.

http://avengersfanforum.s2.bizhat.com/v ... rsfanforum

I want to believe that this Christmas was for many by Happy Day, and I wish nice memorable Boxing Day.

Denis
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Too many Christmas trees is the latest episode under review. Please post your thoughts here. Thanks, Rich.
Agent Cooper
White Dwarf

Post by Agent Cooper »

Utter perfection, hands-down my absolute favorite Avengers episode by a country mile (obviously I gave it a "10"). Macnee and Rigg's chemistry reaches an all-time high here, with a warmth between them that feels totally authentic (Steed and Mrs. Peel singing "Green Grow the Rushes" as a means of psychic self-defense may be the high point for me of the entire series!). Manages to be both really creepy while also being incredibly light on its feet, which is a tough tone to pull off; very few shows are good at being this eerie, atmospheric and genuinely very funny and witty all within the same scene. I have seen it countless times and I never tire of it.

(Also, upon rewatching the Cathy Gale eps recently, it struck me that in a weird way, "Warlock" almost feels like a very rough draft of this episode, though "Trees" is far superior. But it takes some of the concepts from "Warlock" and executes them in a much better, smarter, wittier fashion.)
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Mona »

Topaze wrote:Image

Strange, disturbing and enchanting...

You forgot LUSCIOUS! Mmm, mmm, good!
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
Mona

Post by Mona »

This is about as good as television can get. From early on when we learn of Steed's capacity of drinking alcohol with a friend, to all the women we learn he has "intimately" befriended, to his masterful spy silence not letting Mrs. Peel in on the investigation, throughout the whole episode, including Steed's off key singing, this is a sheer delight.

The plot is great. It combines many things brilliantly: a Sci Fi slant with the supernatural ability to enter people's minds and the creepy dream sequence, the intriguing people at the country mansion, the costume party so apparently favored by English people, and, including having two amazing agents stop to goof around by funhouse mirrors. The story is super well written and don't we all love Steed and Emma not too mutually happy when others try to get close to each of them?

I also love that Steed was in on something being up all along, and allowed the investigation to occur, gathering info and evidence.

Of course, the two heroes leaning into each other under the mistletoe in the chilly air of the tag scene...one can only imagine that upon getting home they made efforts to warm each other up.

It's not just one of the absolute best Avengers episode. It one of the absolute best episode of any show ever shown on TV.
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
Mona

Post by Mona »

peabody wrote:
Rhonda wrote:I gave 6
Sorry, but you most definitely gave it a 10. You probably slipped when you typed that.
If this shows only gets a 6, is there any Avenger's episode you rate a 10????

Can you share if you find any episode that stands out as totally brilliant in every way?
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

Perfection. Not a scene out of place. Atmospheric. The Hall of Mirrors scene is wonderful.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

It is one of the best but not perfect.

It is clearly influenced by the 1945 film Dead of Night, borrowing several themes (the recurring nightmare acted out and the song Ring a Ring O' Roses for instance). Having the film's star Mervyn Johns as guest is an acknowledgement. I also find the denouement a little weak and sudden.

But Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without watching this.

~iw
Lee
Little Wonder

Post by Lee »

I watched this the other evening as the second in my seasonal viewings, having watched November Five around bonfire, and will be watching Dressed to Kill for new year at some point next week.

It's no secret that series 3 and 4 are my favourites. The drama, the balance of reality with the bizzare and the relationship between between Pat and his leading ladies is just right. Also, there is something about the monochrome filming, but more more of that later.

Overall, I gave this story a 9. I first remember viewing this around 1985 when Channel 4 showed series 4 at 6pm on a Tuesday evening (if my memory is correct) and found it rather scary. In fact, I found the whole season scary and didn't really pick up on the humour - perhaps that it is why it became indelibly etched on my mind and something I really wanted to see again when I was older. This story does have some disturbing elements to it - not the fluffy Christmas feel good: disturbing dreams, sadistic Santa, Madame guillitine and the body covered in cobwebs as if it been there for years. All etched on my mind.

Perhaps it is my musical training, but I quite enjoyed the voices of the characters in this tale, seemingly quite deep and rich with a certain gravitas. Speaking of music, I do think the scores for this season are the best - wonderfully atmospheric and just unnerving enough to punctuate the visuals. Certainly in this tale, they bring about an uneasy feel that I think was lost in the following two years. Also, as I hinted at earlier, the monochrome recording also contributes beautifully to the atmosphere, with shadows here being creepy and haunting, lit by chandeliers and hiding what may be lurking at the edges of the screen.

That was used most effectively at the discovery of Wade's body by Mrs Peel. That scene is one I remember from 85 and had left a distinct impression on me. Still a little unnerving as an adult, again thanks to the monochrome, the shadows and the musical score.

The direction is spot on, too. Elegant long shots of the party and the use of light and dark. However, I particularly like the view of above of the psychic circle, and then the zooming in on the member's eyes - again quite creepy.

All of this, plus an honourable mention for Mrs Gale, make it a highly enjoyable way to spend 50 minutes. An wondeful way to spend the first evening of my Christmas holiday.
You really must have a word with that cleaning lady....
slywy
White Dwarf

Post by slywy »

I went with 10. I immediately loved the darkly surreal cutout Christmas tree dream with the creepy Santa and distorted sound. I love 1960s surreal.

The casting of Mervyn Johns, aka Bob Cratchit, was genius.

The cards from women from Steed's past, especially Cathy Gale, was inspired.

The Dickensian death scene was haunting. (Even Mrs. Peel seems to lose her nerve a bit.)

And of course the rapport and chemistry (with singing!) between Steed and Emma is never better.

Great direction, lighting, allusions, performances, the whole deal.