No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 39

Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Re: 4.05 - Too Many Christmas Trees

Post by Frankymole »

Andrew Pixley wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:08 am I care more about older Steed and Purdey and Gambit because they more frequently espouse to each other (and the audience) about how they care about each other - certainly not an element in the taped shows where Steed effectively "uses" people to achieve his objective no matter what. Both give enjoyable and engaging - but very different - feels.
Brian Clemens' famous quote about "thicker cardboard" springs to mind :)
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Andrew Pixley
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Andrew Pixley »

Frankymole wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:13 pmBrian Clemens' famous quote about "thicker cardboard" springs to mind :)
Yes! Quite! :)

The more I think about it... the more I think he put that very well. Because it's not real relationships - like you'd have in a taped drama like "The Sandbaggers" or anything... but it is a depth or relationship that hadn't been there previously.

All the best

Andrew
Borgus Weems
Winged Avenger

Post by Borgus Weems »

Just rewatched this, only my second viewing. On my initial Emma years DVD, this episode wouldn't play, so I only got to see it by renting another disc. The bluray is a major improvement in visual but also specifically sound, so that I was able to understand all that wit much better!

I remember an old thread on some iteration of this website that wondered Did They or Didn't They about Steed and Peel. Based on this episode, I think they certainly did in or around this year's Christmas season. Their joy is infectious! It also really brought home that Emma is never really an agent, whereas Cathy and Tara were seemingly either strongly committed to a cause and justice (Cathy) or a junior agent (Tara). Emma is more a completely free spirit, thrilling to the adventure, yet I could feel her (as a character) already making other worlds for herself after the Avengers even in this early story, as evidenced by all the stuff she is trying to do when not on the adventure. Steed was lucky to have her by her side as hero and pal for as long as he did.

One wonders, did Cathy, Emma, or Tara get paid for their services to the Forces of Good? I'm sure that Steed is making bank, but not sure about the others.

The dreamlike sequences are fantastic, and if I saw this as a kid I know I'd have nightmares.

One fantastic piece of acting from Diana involved the middle Christmas party where dialogue reveals that Steed is definitely being plotted against. The revelation is not mentioned, and not a part of the story, but Diana completely acted it with a few great moments of facial expression.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Borgus Weems wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:20 pm Just rewatched this, only my second viewing. On my initial Emma years DVD, this episode wouldn't play, so I only got to see it by renting another disc. The bluray is a major improvement in visual but also specifically sound, so that I was able to understand all that wit much better!

I remember an old thread on some iteration of this website that wondered Did They or Didn't They about Steed and Peel. Based on this episode, I think they certainly did in or around this year's Christmas season. Their joy is infectious! It also really brought home that Emma is never really an agent, whereas Cathy and Tara were seemingly either strongly committed to a cause and justice (Cathy) or a junior agent (Tara). Emma is more a completely free spirit, thrilling to the adventure, yet I could feel her (as a character) already making other worlds for herself after the Avengers even in this early story, as evidenced by all the stuff she is trying to do when not on the adventure. Steed was lucky to have her by her side as hero and pal for as long as he did.

One wonders, did Cathy, Emma, or Tara get paid for their services to the Forces of Good? I'm sure that Steed is making bank, but not sure about the others.

The dreamlike sequences are fantastic, and if I saw this as a kid I know I'd have nightmares.

One fantastic piece of acting from Diana involved the middle Christmas party where dialogue reveals that Steed is definitely being plotted against. The revelation is not mentioned, and not a part of the story, but Diana completely acted it with a few great moments of facial expression.
it is one of the best episodes of the Peel era....and I always get a kick outta Steed receiving a xmas card from Cathy, and muses what can she be doing at Fort Knox....cracks me up, every time!