No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 37

peabody
Have Fingers... Will Type!

4.04 - Death at Bargain Prices

Post by peabody »

Discuss, review and rate Death at Bargain Prices, produced c. Monday 25th January 1965 to Wednesday 17th February 1965.

Teleplay by Brian Clemens
Directed by Charles Crichton
stevec
Nutshell

one of the best lines in the series

Post by stevec »

has one of the best lines in the series,

I asked the chief predator where to find you and he said, "Our Mrs. Peel is in ladies' underwear." I rattled up the stairs three at a time.
Steve C
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: one of the best lines in the series

Post by mousemeat »

stevec wrote:has one of the best lines in the series,

I asked the chief predator where to find you and he said, "Our Mrs. Peel is in ladies' underwear." I rattled up the stairs three at a time.
classic line....and was delivered with gusto...and a little black humour.

always got a kick when Peel finds that toy spider..and lets out an EEK
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

I gave 7
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Death at bargain prices is the latest episode under review. I'd love to read your reviews here once you've found time to watch this classic. Rich.
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

I love the claustrophobic atmosphere, the sending up of a snobby department store, the gloriously Avengerish idea of the Department of Discontinued Lines and Emma's belief that Steed belongs there! There is something wonderfully creepy about the store when it is closed. Clemens at his best, or almost. (I enjoyed Margo's Freudian interpretation of it as well.)
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Mona »

I really enjoyed Death at Bargain Prices. Steed is young and super gorgeous. He has that red-blooded dynamo that all Steed fans already knew about.

When this episode was played at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood, during The Avengers weekend, the entire audience burst into laughter when Emma hunched over and snapped her fingers in her fight-dance with her opponent. It did set the form for her stylized fighting.

The most important thing for me during this episode was seeing the first time in the Emma series that Steed was super strong, especially when focused. We saw his fighting abilities against the attackers in "Town of No Return". Now we see his strength. Ripping open the locked elevator door saved the city and the day.
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Trying to catch up after real life kept me away...

Death at Bargain Prices is a worthy recipient of fan favourite status with great guest actors and some really fine sets. The direction and pacing are all meticulous although I find myself alone in thinking the West Side Story inspired fight near the end is a bit too much.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
mrs_emma_peel
Winged Avenger

Re: one of the best lines in the series

Post by mrs_emma_peel »

stevec wrote:has one of the best lines in the series,

'Merry quips department on the fifth floor, Sir. Horatio ‘King’ Kane is at the top of the building in the Department of Discontinued Lines… You should fit in rather well.'
I love this brilliant Avengers dialogue sequence - arguably the finest in Avengers history.

Steed: 'Straight drive to mid-on, its all in the grip you know...'
Peel: 'Really!'

This is a real corker of an episode - one of my favourites. A very witty script, a terrifying mystery with a clever and devastating reveal - King Kane is a revenge obsessed, multi-layered psycho villain who has assembled a group of vicious henchmen to carry out his ingenious, explosive doomsday plan.

This episode is superbly investigated and analysed by Margo in her inspired chapter uncovering the Freudian elements of Kane's complex character.

The climax has a ferocious pace in which we see simultaneous, stylish, beautifully choreographed Peel and Steed fights - and a desperate race to defuse the bomb. This is the Avengers at its very best - a witty thriller of riveting intensity.

'We did save them from the biggest closing down sale of all time.'

Steed to Emma: 'What have you got to lose?'

Last edited by mrs_emma_peel on Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:29 pm, edited 8 times in total.
James/Mrs Emma Peel
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Oh yes, James, the script is absolutely scintillating. Superb one liners and repartee throughout. The chemsistry between Macnee and Rigg is truly something to behold.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.