4%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 27

peabody
Have Fingers... Will Type!

5.21 - You Have Just Been Murdered

Post by peabody »

Discuss, review and rate You Have Just Been Murdered, production completed Wednesday 2nd August 1967.

Teleplay by Philip Levene
Directed by Robert Asher
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

9/10

This has a really great script from Philip Levene, it just shows the range he was capable of. The only slightly grey area is how Needle manages to get at those who are barricaded inside (like the poison one). But that's a small issue as there's some great character interaction.

Steed: he said he's just been murdered but he'll see me at Unwins.
Emma: how will he arrive? By hearse?

I love the Party scene at Unwin's home (is that an apartment inside the manor house as he locks his door like it is) - "can you smell that heady aroma.. Of money". There's a really lovely bit which must have been Diana's idea - Unwin introduces himself to Mrs. Peel and agrandises his party intentions all the time she is silent due to having a mouthful of crackers, it's very funny. Rathbone going around sticking cigarettes into his pocket. So many little touches.

There's some great fights for Emma, but I hate that awful leather outfit which is so wrong for colour. "Lead me to your taker".

Stage Steed, Simon Oates makes a great imposing figure to intimidate the victims. Barrie Ingham is a wonderful dependable actor who adds gravitas to things. Leslie French returns after a long gap (death of a Great Dane) and is rather sweet as Rathbone. Robert Flemying feels like he's had loads of guest roles in the show so it surprising he's only the one. George Murcell was always in these sixties fantasy shows, playing Spaniards or someone, he's enjoying himself and has a wonderfully silly death scene (I appreciate the haystack gag).

An episode where you can see the dramatic edge returning to the show. Robert Asher's direction isn't bad but it's not stylish enough for my liking.
Charlie Parker
Little Wonder

Post by Charlie Parker »

I like this episode despite the fact that Mrs Peel and Steed make no contribution to the outcome aside from getting someone killed who would have lived otherwise
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

I gave 6
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
hatpeg
Little Wonder

Post by hatpeg »

Just caught the end of this on True Entertainment.
I watched this many times over the years and always enjoyed it -an 8/10 from me.

But for the very first time this afternoon as Emma takes her captive to the haystack I noticed a moving wheel in the bottom left hand corner of the screen, which I guess was the camera wheel.

Anyone else ever noticed this?
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

hatpeg wrote:Just caught the end of this on True Entertainment.
I watched this many times over the years and always enjoyed it -an 8/10 from me.

But for the very first time this afternoon as Emma takes her captive to the haystack I noticed a moving wheel in the bottom left hand corner of the screen, which I guess was the camera wheel.

Anyone else ever noticed this?
Well spotted, hatpeg! There are several continuity errors in that sequence, I think I've listed them all on my site.

http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avenger ... other.html
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
hatpeg
Little Wonder

Post by hatpeg »

Thanks for that dissolute - great site by the way.
peabody
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by peabody »

I've always loved this one because it was one of the first episodes I saw. Plus it is a great script and there's some lovely location shots in it. Yes, it's a 10! 8)
Spaceship Dispatcher
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Spaceship Dispatcher »

Good, fun episode. Nothing outstanding or distinctive beyond those things common to the show as a whole, but wonderfully enjoyable. I always like George Murcell in these villainous roles!

7/10
mrs_emma_peel
Winged Avenger

Post by mrs_emma_peel »

Just watched this hugely enjoyable episode - I think its one of the best from series 5. I gave it a 9/10 because its clever ensemble piece with fine suspense and action scenes accompanied by some very sharp witty dialogue delivered with real panache by all the cast - all of which combine to make this an episode I never tire of watching. Its a nicely balanced mix of the deadly serious thriller interspersed with gems of witty, natural humour.

Emma wears three lovely outfits and has three excellent fights (the first of which on the bridge saw her in a very expensive soft leather catsuit that got ripped apart) and there is an outstanding supporting cast - and Nathaniel Needle is a wonderfully named eccentric and iconic villain. I saw the moving camera trolley/mic as Emma carries the suitcase-bomb and of course her quick drying hair and blue catsuit - although it was evidently a scorching hot summer day.

Would have liked to have seen Emma take on Simon Oates's seeming invincible blonde smiling assassin. Did Barry Ingham's character survive the pitch-fork? Or was he murdered for the 5th time? Great script by Philip Levene - loved Steed's sweet scent of money line at the swish party scene, and Emma climbing the tree in her mini-dress and feathers. One of the most immensely watchable episodes of series 5.
James/Mrs Emma Peel