No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 29

peabody
Have Fingers... Will Type!

5.19 - Dead Man's Treasure

Post by peabody »

Discuss, review and rate Dead Man's Treasure, production completed Wednesday 5th July 1967.

Teleplay by Michael Winder
Directed by Sidney Hayers
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Come on how about some words on this classic episode. Possibly the finest thing Sidney Hayers ever directed.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

8/10

I always think there's a better episode in here than we actually get, the car rally could have included some interesting locations but it's mostly just barns. Michael Winders only script, nice that they open the door again after Clemens and Levene hogged the writing duties for so long. There are some good gags but it reminds me of 'Take me to your leader' from season 6 in that the script device doesn't get used to full advantage.

Despite the fact that the weather is rather cloudy, it's one of those lovely summery episodes.

Love Laurier Johnson's score.

Valerie Van Ost is amusing in a sixties groovy chick way. Edwin Richfield and Neil McCarthy look to be having fun as bumbling agents. Norman Bowler is probably the only one playing it straight.
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

I gave 8
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
Dan
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Dan »

At our place this summer we've been showing movies for family & friends outdoors after the sun goes down. We showed this one last night and it was a big hit. It's a great episode for this type of venue - very visual and for the most part light-hearted. Made some new Avenger fans.
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Dan wrote:At our place this summer we've been showing movies for family & friends outdoors after the sun goes down. We showed this one last night and it was a big hit. It's a great episode for this type of venue - very visual and for the most part light-hearted. Made some new Avenger fans.
I'm so pleased when The Avengers can still weave its magic and people can still enjoy the series and this episode (as its one of my favourites) in particular and if it makes them want to watch more then that's a bonus.
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Avengerholic »

This was always one of my favourite episodes, it recalls memories of the long hot summers I enjoyed as a child, and of making hideouts from the freshly cut grass in the fields behind our house. Oddly over the years, and with each new viewing, Valerie Van Ost (Penny) increasingly irritates me. the running 'husband No.3004' joke grinds on my nerves, as does her voice. She's all a bit too much, and these days tends to spoil my enjoyment of the episode. One of the best stories in the series though I have to say.
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Mona »

All around excellent, fun, delightful episode!
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
Lee
Little Wonder

Post by Lee »

A good solid 8 from me.

When I first saw this on video in the 90s, I enjoyed it, but lamented that the second half of series 5 was not as eccentric as the first half.

With my reappraisal of this year and having watched this again the other evening with my wife, I'm quite pleased there was a step back towards the centre ground. An interesting concept and a novel way into the whole car rally scenario.

Steed's partner is played just about right without being too blond or over the top. Of cours, Emma's partner seem completely sane, but that was the lure until it is realised that he is in fact the real villain, and the two agents (who seems to be enjoying the rally too much for their own good) are there to mislead you from predicting the ending.

Some mentioned the score - it is indeed a find example of Johnson at his best, and was included in the tripple CD release a few years ago in all its glory. Coupled with its mostly good direction and an undertone of menace (can you really trust the man servant?) all-in-all an enjoyable watch.
You really must have a word with that cleaning lady....
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: 5.19 - Dead Man's Treasure

Post by mousemeat »

peabody wrote:Discuss, review and rate Dead Man's Treasure, production completed Wednesday 5th July 1967.

Teleplay by Michael Winder
Directed by Sidney Hayers
always loved this episode..however in the A&E re issue on dvd, it needs to be re mastered badly...as problems with improper storage of source material often rear their ugly heads...other than those beefs...great episode..good music bu Johnson, fun locations, snappy dialogue ...and the original production finished on JULY 5TH...my birthday....what's not to like ? a solid 8 FOR this old avengers fan...