No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 15

peabody
Have Fingers... Will Type!

5.13 - A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Station

Post by peabody »

Discuss, review and rate A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Station, production completed Wednesday 22nd March 1967.

Teleplay by Brian Sheriff
Directed by John Krish
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

This was my latest watch. Always loved this one. A terrific script with some nice witticisms thrown in, especially Emma's throwaway line in the signal box following the machine gunfire! Some great characterisations from James Hayter and John Laurie. Terrific sets, the train carriages and stations. Especially love the Chase Halt deserted station. I've never read the original script by Roger Marshall. Does it differ greatly from Clemens treatment :?: Some very nice little details to enjoy in this episode, such as John Laurie dodging into a carriage to avoid being seen and sitting on the lap of an old lady who hasn't even noticed even after he's hurried out of the carriage. :lol: SUPERB episode, high in my top 10 of season 5. 10/10. Rich.
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

I have to give this a try again. I hate to say it but I could not get into it so never finished. I know it has some great reviews and some that don't like too.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

I have the movie to thank for my vote on this one.:)

Let me explain.

Back in 1995, it was June and my birthday. I'd had a Maths exam in the morning and stopped off at the shops on the way home. I bought three Lumiere Avengers videos:

The Gravediggers/The Living Dead
Too Many Christmas Trees/ The Joker
Castle De'ath/A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Station

A funny thing was the last one I watched so by that time I was feeling a bit Avengered-Out as I consumed them throughout the afternoon. I was rather underwhelmed by it and just wasn't engaging with it. I did enjoy "You really must sack your clean lady" as Emma trips over the dead body in Steed's appartment.

I think I watched it once or twice afterwards before 1999.

But then 1999 came and so did the Avengers movie. I came away from it so dispirited and really didn't connect with their vision of Avengersland as a land totally devoid of people so why should be care what happens to it.

The first episode I chose to watch was 'A Funny Thing...'. It was so good to see extras on the train. People lived in this version of Avengersland. The episode suddenly felt so colourful and vibrant and witty and pacey. It supplied that buzz that The Avengers has and the movie lacked.

It's now a 10/10 episode.
anti-clockwise

Post by anti-clockwise »

Maybe I should do the same with this episode Darren. Watch it after some bad movie. I know I saw it a long time ago as well and had a good impression of it.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

anti-clockwise wrote:Maybe I should do the same with this episode Darren. Watch it after some bad movie. I know I saw it a long time ago as well and had a good impression of it.
It's been proven to work a lot for me. I love Doctor Who also and have had my opinion on stories totally reversed - I'd view a story that totally lacks something and find the story I previously hated has plenty of and I give it a total reappraisal.
anti-clockwise

Post by anti-clockwise »

Darren wrote:
anti-clockwise wrote:Maybe I should do the same with this episode Darren. Watch it after some bad movie. I know I saw it a long time ago as well and had a good impression of it.
It's been proven to work a lot for me. I love Doctor Who also and have had my opinion on stories totally reversed - I'd view a story that totally lacks something and find the story I previously hated has plenty of and I give it a total reappraisal.
Yes that has been known to happen. :lol: which one changed your mind and why?
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

anti-clockwise wrote:
Darren wrote:
Yes that has been known to happen. :lol: which one changed your mind and why?
It was the Time-Flight/Arc of Infinity DVD. So uninspiring, flat, dull, humourless, cold, badly directed.

Then I got the Planet of Evil DVD afterwards and I'd been rather blasé about it but in comparison to those two Davison stories it suddenly came alive, great, spirited TARDIS crew with an engaging story directed with flair and style. Just an overal sense of life. Also the Key to Time season saw a total turn around after those Davison dirges. :)
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Hooray! Proof that even duff stories have their uses :)
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

I gave 7
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death