No votes
7%
7%

Total votes: 28

peabody
Have Fingers... Will Type!

5.11 - Epic

Post by peabody »

Discuss, review and rate Epic, production completed Monday 27th February 1967.

Teleplay by Brian Clemens
Directed by James Hill
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

I'm working my way through season 5 and this is my most recent episode. I have had a strange relationship with this one. When I first saw this season as a teenager (Channel 4 1982-3) this was my very favourite. I didn't see it again until Bravo (cable) repeated them a long 11 years later. This was the one I was looking forward to the most, and I can remember being so disappointed. That's what 11 years of not seeing it and putting it on a pedestal will do :!: Now, I have learned to appreciate it again. A very inventive and surreal episode. Love the abandoned film set and the bizarre villainous cast and director. The funeral scene is particularly creative. Beautifully filmed. Almost a 10, but for now it's 9/10. Rich.
peabody
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by peabody »

This episode seems to divide fans. I suppose you either love it or hate it. I sit firmly in the "love" it camp. Everything is just so lovely over the top.

Z.Z. von Schnerk is a lovable loon, despite the fact that he's actually doing a snuff film, and that's no mean feat. Patrick Wyngarde is, well, Peter Wyngarde! You simply can't go wrong with him in an episode. Isa Miranda is also great fun, and together they make a great couple fallen from grace.

Yet again, there's a spooky and sinister element to the proceedings which I really enjoy. It's empty in Avengerland and you really get that feel here.

"Mrs. Peel... We're waiting for you". A 9/10.
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

It's interesting. In Sunset Boulevard they have a deluded actress who thinks she is still the star. But in Epic, we have Mrs. Peel forced into stardom, in this shared delusion of the older actors. A nice clever twist on an old familiar plot..
Who doesn't like this one? Some nice touches like when she roars. And when she is about to be sawed in half, i think mentions becoming a split personality. I love the way she seems rather calm throughout, with all these crazy Sunset Boulevard Types around her.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

cyberrich wrote: Almost a 10, but for now it's 9/10. Rich.
Changed my mind a week later :!: Epic deserves 10/10. A novel idea, beautifully filmed and great fun. 8) Rich.
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

I agree Rich it deserves a 10. It was my favorite for a long time. But so far in the ratings no 10's. I must have already voted for this one too! I don't think we can change our minds on this poll. :wink:
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Topaze
Nutshell

Post by Topaze »

My favorite episode,10/10!!!
So crazy and delirious. I love the scenes in slow motion in the cemetery.
An atmosphere very strange, beautiful colors
I'm totally crazy about this episode :x
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

I gave 2
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Epic is the latest episode under review. If you get chance to view this episode, please post your thoughts here. Thanks, Rich. :)
frank
Winged Avenger

Post by frank »

I've always enjoyed this parody of Sunset Boulevard

How can you not love Peter Wyngarde hamming it up in almost 12 different roles?

I love how the episode makes a commentary about "breaking the 4th wall" without "breaking the 4th wall" by literally breaking down the 4th wall.

Plus it has the best tag scene in the whole series