No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

Rhonda
Epic

2.24 - A Chorus of Frogs

Post by Rhonda »

Venus Smith episode, UK 9 March 1963.

A lively episode; I really like it; 7/10.
Last edited by Rhonda on Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

My review:

http://www.theavengers.tv/forever/gale1-24vr.htm

This is minor league stuff for both Steed and the series. It does have its moments: there's a murder by harpoon, the ship sets are another step up from the good ones in 'Mission to Montreal' early in the season, and there's a hotheaded gun-brandishing woman who gets some great dialogue with Steed. Sadly, it also has Venus singing a lullaby and reverting to a childish petulance with Steed. For once, Steed hasn't set her up; but one can forgive her for thinking he has. Thank goodness it's her last episode.

The Avenged?: Two members of an elite diving/salvage/smuggling group called "The Frogs". Their confusion over their national identities (or lack of them), and their childhood friendships, hint at some restless characters with lots of possibilities, but there isn't much time to explore them. Ariston's desire to look beyond the vendetta into the reasons for the deaths is refreshingly intelligent.

Diabolical Masterminds?: Anna Lee, who works for an unnamed Government that doesn't like British investigations. She's sarcastic and a little sadistic, but not given anything very interesting to do.

The Avengers?: One-Six is back as Steed's boss, sadly in little more than a cameo. None of the delightful sparring with Steed from his earlier appearance. He's flown out to Greece to interrupt Steed's vacation. What kind of expense accounts do Steed's bosses have, jetting all over the world simply to give him a few orders? Haven't they heard of telegrams? Venus is shown learning Cantonese from a book and a record, a scene probably inserted to dispel the idea that she is an idiot (a hopeless task). The more vibrant female character of Helena makes Venus look even more of a drip than usual. When Venus is told by steed to stay in her cabin, she pouts. When Helena is told the same, she mutters, "I make no promises," then eventually gets her gun out and soon locks the door on Steed and Mason!

Umbrella, Charm and a Bowler Hat?: Steed's holiday-wear (striped shirt) looks simply shocking. When he invites himself to stay in her cabin, Venus says she hasn't rinsed his socks because the stewards would gossip.

Bizarre?: Mason's stateroom looks like a palatial set that has had a few portholes added. Luckily this suits the character perfectly. I kept thinking that Anna Lee was referring to a company owned by Mason when she talked about "Pelago" providing the facilities, yet she appears to think this is Mason's name. Perhaps because the ship is called the Archipelago. Either it is her government's codename for Mason, or she believes Mason's name is Archie Pelago!

By the final "storming of the barricades" gunfight I was expecting another twist or layer of plot to tie it all together. But really all there is to know is revealed quite early on—it seems Stephanopoulus volunteered for the experiment that killed him, and Anna was responsible for harpooning Jackson to protect her country's investment in developing mini-subs.

On Target? (Score): Starts well, then treads water. A middling two bowlers, 5/10.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

I actually really like this one, as Venus Smith episodes go. Thin on plot, but the secondary characters are great fun (especially John Carson as Ariston) and the running gag with Steed taking the girl's gun away. In fact, it has some of the best comedic moment for Macnee in the second season - he's sort of the charming uncle to a whole series of very foolish teenagers. For once Venus is not totally grating too, and actually has some good repartee with her partner.
Spaceship Dispatcher
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Spaceship Dispatcher »

I really liked this one too! The laboratory set was nicely realised and the cast included some familiar faces, but most of all I enjoyed the feel of a game being played out rather than a straight forward confrontation. Also, I like the character of Venus and this was definitely a good episode for her.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Definitely Venus' best episode. She's really written with more spunk and has some great one liners at Steed's expense. Any scene with them in her cabin is a joy. Julie Stevens is so personable. I love how she plays the interrogation in the laboratory - taking no nonsense and fighting back.

The cast are excellent. I always like John Carson in the show as he's so different in all his roles. Macnee really looks like he enjoying the characterisation of Steed as he's so playful like when confronting the greek agents who keep trying to interrogate him.

I couldn't really describe what the plot is - I lost that amongst the fun but it's a good, well paced yarn.

8/10
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Re-view. Thank goodness for the ultra-clear DVDs from 2010-ish.

Just when it all comes together, Venus is off! It's her last episode. A shame, because this is a perfect episode. If the series had done more in this vein, I'd have been very glad to see them.

Raymond Menmuir directs this extremely well, there is lots of humour, some great transitions (like when they mention someone and the next shot is a closeup near them), some fantastic visual humour instigated by Julie Stevens who now has a handle on Venus - the Cantonese-learning records, the toe-varnishing hobbling walk, and the disputes with Steed about the domestics in their cabin-sharing). The sets seem to come on endlessly, visual interest in every shot and refreshing variety in constant new shots, lighting, textile patterns, glasses, statuary and other objects, designs and viewpoints. A beautiful visual eye by the designer and director.

The only downside is two more songs, but thank goodness they're the last.

The guest cast are all superlative. The yacht-at-night demi-monde is perfect for The Avengers, this is like Mission To Montreal done even better. Just look at the lighting, the weird gantry lighting in the lab, the wall lights like torches and the shelf lighting in the cabins. It feels like a real place and halfway between cosy and menacing, which is what The Avengers is.

Frank Gatliff and John Carson are at their peak. Carson is probably the most natural and, to quote Julie on the commentary, "dishy" TV actor of the 60s. Gatliff gives depth to his disgruntled and even idealistic scientist; his role in the final gunfight is well worth noting as he gets revenge by disabling his "paymaster", but before that he conveys all the reactions we mgiht have in his situation; an underrated and naturalistic actor. Venus/Julie with her Sassoon bob is a year ahead of the Beatles and the trends. Colette Wilde as Helena and Yvonne Shima as Anna Lee are convincing idealogues and female gunfighters two decades before Blakes 7. The Frogs themselves are outlaws, childhood friends, and children of all nations with a ring of honour that would make The Zoo Gang proud.

This episode is bursting with ideas but doesn't let them confuse or overwhelm each other. It also evokes a world beyond, with the Frogs' history and loyalty and the bloc espionage hinted at by Anna (working against the West, probably for China, but maybe for Russia, we aren't told). It is very rare for the series to balance all these internal and external elements whilst also having the actors bouncing off each other so spontaneously. Every twitch of Carson and Macnee's facial muscles is captivating. For a recorded-as-live production this is stunningly good; 100% pitch-perfect from everyone involved.

The pacing is brilliant too, I'd recommend this to someone who had only ever seen the filmed episodes. This is something very, very special.

10/10.

The commentary with Julie Stevens is very interesting too.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

darren wrote:Definitely Venus' best episode. She's really written with more spunk and has some great one liners at Steed's expense. Any scene with them in her cabin is a joy. Julie Stevens is so personable. I love how she plays the interrogation in the laboratory - taking no nonsense and fighting back.

The cast are excellent. I always like John Carson in the show as he's so different in all his roles. Macnee really looks like he enjoying the characterisation of Steed as he's so playful like when confronting the greek agents who keep trying to interrogate him.

I couldn't really describe what the plot is - I lost that amongst the fun but it's a good, well paced yarn.

8/10
I couldn't review this episode, any better...and yeah, Venus's era, ends on a high note, so to speak...great dialogue ..
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Martin Woodhouse was a great writer and the designer and director really rise to the occasion, this is a great episode.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Yes, the dialogue was so scintillating, teasing and natural. Every character has a unique voice and you could see the actors relished it. I always forget which episodes Woodhouse wrote and then when I see his credit I think "that was proper Avengers". Plus point is all the women were so good in this, a real egalitarian episode.

I'm glad this is a peak of the later series 2, and every time I revisit it I am enjoying it more and more. You can't get better entertainment than that. Worth the purchase of the box set on its own!
Frankymole

Re: 2.24 - A Chorus of Frogs

Post by Frankymole »

The brothers encounter A Chorus of Frogs.