3.03 - The Nutshell

Post by darren »

Written by Philip Chambers

Directed by Raymond Menmuir

Production completed: 10 May 1963
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

9/10. Terrific episode. Brilliant set, and beautifully filmed. Viewing this episode it's hard to imagine it was filmed only a few months after season 2, as it looks so ahead of it's time. As do many season 3 episodes. While there are some good episodes in season 2, they do look very dated when compared to the following season. Rich.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Lhbizness's review (http://suddenlyashotrangout.wordpress.c ... -nutshell/) makes me want to seek this one out again... it's also got four bowlers over at The Avengers Forever, so hopefully it'll be a rewarding experience!
Last watched: "The Secrets Broker"
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

A very underestimated epsiode. I did enjoy this one very much when I watched it about three years ago.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

It's a great episode, one of my favourite Cathys. Nice and tense, and lots of great moments for both Steed and Cathy. And what's not to love about a boss named DISCO? :wink:
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Frankymole wrote:Lhbizness's review (http://suddenlyashotrangout.wordpress.c ... -nutshell/) makes me want to seek this one out again... it's also got four bowlers over at The Avengers Forever, so hopefully it'll be a rewarding experience!
Aw, thanks! This episode originally made me a bit uncomfortable (as do all "Steed's a traitor" episodes), but it really is one of Season 3's best. It also kind of made me hate the Ministry.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Yeah, the Ministry comes across as quite dark in this episode, it's an interesting touch. You don't want to get on the wrong side of it. The Wringer has the same quality and it's also there in Man With Two Shadows.
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

6 from me. It's quite an exciting one with a little glamour. I like the use of technology and it has interesting locations to liven it up.
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Excellent episode. Better paced than most video-taped era episodes. The viewer gets thrown in quite deep in an intriguing plot and setting from the beginning. Steed is at the top of his game here, playing a double game and comes out on top only at the very end. Although its low on Avengers eccentricity, its one of the best episodes. The (counter)espionage theme could be straight out of the later filmed episodes. Its constructed so well that you don't even bother to think of inconsistencies or the like. Because of the confined setting of the underground base the lack of outdoor filming or large sets (which is noticeable in the videotaped era) isn't an issue at all here.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Allard wrote:Excellent episode. Better paced than most video-taped era episodes. The viewer gets thrown in quite deep in an intriguing plot and setting from the beginning. Steed is at the top of his game here, playing a double game and comes out on top only at the very end. Although its low on Avengers eccentricity, its one of the best episodes. The (counter)espionage theme could be straight out of the later filmed episodes. Its constructed so well that you don't even bother to think of inconsistencies or the like. Because of the confined setting of the underground base the lack of outdoor filming or large sets (which is noticeable in the videotaped era) isn't an issue at all here.
I would certainly concur...in fact, I consider it one of the 5 best episodes of that era for the show..well written and paced..