Diabolical Mastermind

3.04 - The Golden Fleece

Post by darren »

Written by Roger Marshall & Phyllis Norman

Directed by Peter Hammond

Production completed: 24 May 1963
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

I have a lot of affection for this episode. It's one of those that actually makes us sympathetic for the "villains," and draws into question the differences between the law and justice. There's a bit of a missed opportunity for some interesting debate, given Steed's military background.

But really the best thing about the episode is the interaction between Steed and Cathy. They're at their most relaxed here, even if Steed still feels he has to manipulate her into helping him. I enjoy the earlier scenes where they're dining and drinking together - one almost has the impression that they're dating, or close to it. Cathy's anger at him seems less about being dragged into a new case than the way he goes about it.
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

7 from me. A good story co-written by Roger Marshall who often thought up original contexts for cases to be solved. In this case a very believable one of the misuse of diplomatic or at least military immunity (if I believe that the price of gold could, in those days, not always be known by everybody globally as it is today)
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
Lee
Little Wonder

Post by Lee »

I decided to watch this one this evening because I had absolutely no memory of it at all from its title.
However, once I saw the opening and the first few scenes aspects did come back, but I couldn't remember the plot - and I think the reason for that is I'm not sure about it even now.

The Good -

The opening with Steed and Mrs Gale in the restaurant was well set. There was an air of relaxation, and the thought for a little while that perhaps they were off duty. However, as Cathy was to find out, Steed is never off duty. It's almost as if Steed is at his most manipulative here, like playing a game of chess and Mrs Gale is his queen who he manoovers into the best positions possible. Honor Blackman's reactions are lovely and natural - she realises with Steed as she has always known really, that there is no such thing as a free lunch. You can't help wondering if it was experiences like these and Cathy's reactions which helped to produce a slightly mellowed Steed, less cloak and dagger with his closest allies, in the latter filed years and enabled there to be a more open relationship with Mrs Peel.

Point for question: Did Steed know Emma Peel at this time? Was he still working with Dr Keel? I believe Steed knew Mrs Gale while his adventures with Dr King were taking place due to the events in Don't Look Behind You, but it would be intersting to know where all the crossovers took place. The only thing we know for sure is when Emma and Tara crossed over, and when Cathy walked out on her adventures with Steed.

Pat and Honor are obviously working well together, and I'm pleased Cathy wasn't toned down when she became the main stay of the third year.

Interesting to have Warren Mitchell in this one before his future returns as a Russian agent in The Chamers and then Brodney in The filmed years.

Not quite so good:

I must confess to being a little lost in some of the plot. Were the three soldiers taking gold from the man in Hong Kong to pay off their colleagues, or was it there cut they were using? Was their sole purpose to be involved in gold smuggling for that cause? Why was the guy in Hong Kong smuggling gold? Where did it come from? What was the purpose? Perhaps I missed some of this exposition as I didn't the sound on this episode was as clear at times.

A hard one to score. I think based on what I have given to others, I'll need to give this a 6.

Pity - anything with Roger Marshall On the writing credit is usually - ahem - gold.

EDITED TO ADD:

When earlier I said Dr King, I meant Dr Keel.
It would also be safe to assume that Steed was working with Mrs Gale / Dr King / Venus Smith at the same time so he would have known them, but is he still allied with Keel now, and we are just seeing a different side to his adventures, particularly as Keel wasn't given an exit, I don't think....
Last edited by Lee on Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
You really must have a word with that cleaning lady....
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

It's a while since I saw it but I do think the servicemen were using their cut to help their needy ex-colleagues (and the latter's families). It seemed to be the sole reason for their involvement, which altruism made it a bit of a moral dilemma for Steed.

I also think Cathy eventually got fed up of Steed' manipulations, and her abrupt decision to opt out meant he was a bit more careful with Mrs Peel. After Emma effectively broke his heart, of course, he only worked with fellow agents and no gifted amateurs - Tara, Purdey, Gambit.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Frankymole

Re:

Post by Frankymole »

Lee wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:23 pm Not quite so good:

I must confess to being a little lost in some of the plot. Were the three soldiers taking gold from the man in Hong Kong to pay off their colleagues, or was it there cut they were using? Was their sole purpose to be involved in gold smuggling for that cause? Why was the guy in Hong Kong smuggling gold? Where did it come from? What was the purpose? Perhaps I missed some of this exposition as I didn't the sound on this episode was as clear at times.

A hard one to score. I think based on what I have given to others, I'll need to give this a 6.

Pity - anything with Roger Marshall On the writing credit is usually - ahem - gold.
Is Phyllis Norman, credited as the co-writer with Roger Marshall, a real person? Or a pseudonym? She doesn't seem to have any other credits at all, on anything.

The gold was being bought in the West where the price had a legal limitation or control; and due to market regulations could not legally be sold in the East at the big mark-up that criminals were prepared to pay for it there. They were transporting it disguised as ammunition out to Hong Kong to be sold on the black market, and the money from Mr Lo was coming the other way, back to the UK.

Warren Mitchell was really excellent in this, a multifaceted and heartfelt performance. My admiration for him went up hugely, and it's a shame he only got caricatured roles like Brodney later in the series.

8/10.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: 3.04 - The Golden Fleece

Post by mousemeat »

Warren Mitchell, another actor who just popped into my mind..what a career..again, you might of not known his name first hand, you would probably recognize him...and lord, what a slate of TV credits..ranging from Danger Man, to the Avengers...his film credits include such fare as Curse of the were wolf..one of my fave hammer films of the early 60's....he had a part in the Beatles 2nd film for UA, ' Help '....and was also in the Burton film from '65, the Spy who came in from the cold...which I recently watched in stunning blu ray...

some cool stage credits as well...like Death of a salesman, Requiem for a heavyweight...etc....all this off the top of my aging, balding head..

hard to believe it's been almost 10 years since his passing.....
Frankymole

Re:

Post by Frankymole »

Lee wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:23 pm When earlier I said Dr King, I meant Dr Keel.
It would also be safe to assume that Steed was working with Mrs Gale / Dr King / Venus Smith at the same time so he would have known them, but is he still allied with Keel now, and we are just seeing a different side to his adventures, particularly as Keel wasn't given an exit, I don't think....
I don't think he is still working with Dr Keel. In some of the spin-off media, I think Dr David Keel went to work abroad. I hope he got it together with Carol and they got married, because I'm a hopeless romantic.

If Steed were still working with Dr Keel then he wouldn't have needed to inveigle the reluctant Dr Martin (not Luther) King into his adventures. Of course we still don't know what hold Steed had over King, or why the latter would want to spend time fighting crime. The behind the scenes reasons are obvious, to use up remaining Dr King scripts, but there's no rationale given on screen.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

the relationship between Steed and Gale / Peel..was 180 degrees...from each other...Gale was more a'loof..detached..in my opinion...she was just as smart as Emma, but in a different direction..was there any romance there ? probably not....and she did share a flat with him...for a while, but I always felt their emotional relationship wasn't of potential lovers, but valued colleagues ..and/or/brother-type sister...and eventually, she moved on...of course, he probably always held her in high regard....remember that scene in Too Many Christmas Trees, when he was delighted to have gotten a holiday card from Mrs. gale, and pondered ' what she's doing in Ft. Knox ? '

Emma was 180 from Gale....and the sexual tension between them..was simmering.....did they bed each other ? maybe. maybe not...but the passion between them was there..in looks, touch, comments...and when she left the 'service' to re unite with her long lost husband, you could feel the sadness from Steed...as for Tara...always felt she was too young...and he came off as a mentor....but Tara clearly had other ideas..
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Cathy definitely viewed Steed as an annoying little brother rather than a potential mate, it's clear from this episode when he makes an improper suggestion that she should live with him as a "kept woman" instead of doing a job to pay her rent!!! Of course, he's set up the job, so it's all part of his game-playing (which would eventually annoy her enough that she went off to the Caribbean for a holiday and never came back...).

The scene where Cathy throws things at him, at first in anger and eventually falls off her seat laughing, is a classic and they have a lot of good interaction in this episode as well as working separately (Roger Marshall being the brilliant character writer that he is). As one reviewer points out, their Chinese meal at the beginning, though caused by Steed's business, is in fact more like a date.

It's a complex relationship. Cathy needs Steed to be less manipulative before she could even begin to consider a romance with him, and he probably knows that, but is unable or unwilling to change his ways. Ways, that to be fair, ensure his survival while many of his fellow agents have been killed.

Yes, Tara is 180 from this too. Steed fancied Cathy, but Cathy could not let him near for professional reasons on his part, and personal reactions to those on her part. Whereas Tara fancied Steed but he kept away from that bar some mild flirting, due to his professionalism and, perhaps, learned gentlemanliness from after Cathy left (and a broken heart after Emma left - he was too honourable to try and mess up her marriage). The big question is what did Emma mean by "I'm not Mrs Peel any more" in The New Avengers... and what happened after that? Did Steed give up his "girlfriend of the week" and try to woo a now-divorced Emma? We shall never know.

Steed had the same relationship with Purdey as with Tara. Though he liked to keep Gambit on his toes by attracting Purdey and flirting mildly with her, and it proved he had still "got it" even if his preference was for more mature ladies.

If Joanna Lumley had moved on from The New Avengers in any proposed new season or revival... would Steed have added her photo to his shelf along with the previous three "fillies"?