3.05 - Death a la Carte

Post by darren »

Written by John Lucarotti

Directed by Kim Mills

Production completed: 7 June 1963
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Avengerholic »

I've never been able to get to grips with Death a la Carte, the pacing is SO slow, those chefs (inc Steed) really bug me.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

7/10

Not being a fan of Kim Mill's direction, I usually groan at his episodes but I think this was the first time he really started to find his form. The set design is very strong and that lovely special effect of the window ledge. It's quite a light-hearted and watchable episode if not exceptional.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

I have to say that this is my least favourite Cathy episode. It is, as has already been mentioned, exceedingly slow. Honor's wig, which she also wore in Man with two shadows, looked dodgy too. Her own hair looked much nicer :!: The whole point of the Avengers by this point, season 3, is that it was set in a world that is mirrored, with only one foot in reality. This episode is quite mundane in contrast to most other season 3 episodes. 5/10.
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Avengerholic »

cyberrich wrote:Honor's wig, which she also wore in Man with two shadows, looked dodgy too.
It looks dodgy here indeed, but horrendous in The Man With Two Shadows, I've often wondered the reason behind her wearing it in these episodes.
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

8 for me. I really like this one even before I see that the writer is one I admire (John Lucarotti). Who wouldn't enjoy the light hearted foiling of a poisoner's deadly plan? Also like the laid back acting reminiscent of the Ian Henry era.
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Re: 3.05 - Death a la Carte

Post by Frankymole »

There are some nice bits in the script that got changed in the broadcast version, either due to ad libs or rehearsed cuts for timing reasons. Like when Steed says he got the alias Stone-Martin from a bird (on screen) but in the script he said he found it in a tree, and Cathy tells him not to forget to put it back. She then goes on to respond to Steed's offer to give her a good dinner, "Promise you won't cook it!" which nicely references Steed's previous ineptitude at cooking even an omelet (though he manages the pheasant dish very well here - perhaps like the steaks on his car engine in the filmed series, he has some meat specialities).

The one visitor review on The Avengers Forever said Honor doesn't get a fight (though Steed does). However, she does get a little bit of a tussle with Robert James after fusing the lights and throwing light bulbs out of the door. Naturally, he submits to her quickly. That lovely dress of hers wasn't really made for a melée. Earlier on, Cathy sports a very odd fascistic black costume with a Sam Browne belt for a scene or two! She has a lot of costume changes in this one.

There are some enjoyable comedy bits with the three chefs and overall it stands up reasonably well. 7 out of 10.
Last watched: "Mandrake"