3.08 - The Grandeur That Was Rome

Post by darren »

Written by Rex Edwards

Directed by Kim Mills

Production completed: 19 July 1963
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

I can say little more. The presence of Hugh Burden wasn't enough to keep me awake I'm afraid.

~iw
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

3/10

There are some really great sets in this one but the story just isn't engaging. Kim Mills direction (despite improving for season three) never really lifts anything. It's not as deeply boring as The Trojan Horse though!
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

8 for me. I can't help liking this tale of a man obsessed with this past era and finding out his all too familiar related fate.
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Saw this one last Sunday, seemed appropriate as its about the threat of a virus, but it was also the 15th the Ides of March.

I liked it, a bit of weird Steed undercover action, diabolical if mad mastermind. Sadly falls completely flat at the end the last minutes feel rushed and without any point or charm.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

CALPURNIA (in a thick Bronx accent)
I told him, Julie, don't go. Don't go Julie, I said. Don't go, it's the Ides of March.

FLAVIUS
Now look, Mrs. Caesar, I'd ---

CALPURNIA
If I told him once, I'd told him a thousand times, Julie, don't go ...

FLAVIUS
Please, don't upset yourself.

CALPURNIA
Julie, don't go, I said. It's the Ides of March. Beware already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR_5h8CzRcI
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Ian Wegg wrote:2.

I can say little more. The presence of Hugh Burden wasn't enough to keep me awake I'm afraid.

~iw
Exactly the same here. Worst episode. The only one that ever sent me to sleep.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Frankymole

Re: 3.08 - The Grandeur That Was Rome

Post by Frankymole »

Just watched it again (at least I stayed awake this time thanks to copious amounts of coffee). The most tedious thing about it is its ineptness. If I listed everything wrong with it, the list would probably never end...
  • Messed-up Latin, made even worse by not explaining what the English translations were meant to be, hence unintelligible gibberish at the end.
  • Public relations officer knows nothing about science until the final scenes when he is the expert on toxins and vaccination. He was also the obvious "hidden" villain throughout.
  • Microscope slide is the picture from a textbook shown seconds earlier.
  • Wooden(!) water pipe used as a weapon against a sword, Steed loses the fight then in the next scene he's suddenly free with no explanation (apparently there were angry memos at ABC about this massive cheat).
  • Everyone is very sweaty - presumably this was made in high summer (though it is set in February). You'd think they would factor in a rapid towelling-down after a quick costume change, with some other shot - oh hang on, it's Kim Mills directing.
  • Drab sets.
  • Cathy sneaks around even though she wants to be captured. The villains are so rubbish she has to make a ruckus to get noticed.
  • The fascist party is poised to take over the world, then just vanishes, even though the leader they planned to supplant dies exactly when they expected. The nasty Octavia and Marcus seem to get away. Why didn't Steed arrange some backup?
  • There is some swapping of the poisoned chalice which doesn't make sense. Why even risk having two drinks at that point?
  • An upright, very non-Roman coffin in the cell (why?) the obvious hiding place yet the guy looking for Steed never goes near it.
And much, much more...

I can't see any redeeming features, though Honor Blackman is professional throughout. The only bit that raised a smile was Steed offering a statue of "Mars The Avenger".
Frankymole

Re: 3.08 - The Grandeur That Was Rome

Post by Frankymole »

The brothers view this episode... one of the worst in the series in my opinion, but let's see what they think!