3.12 - November Five

Post by darren »

Written by Eric Paice

Directed by Bill Bain

Production completed: 27 September 1963
Lee
Little Wonder

Post by Lee »

This was meant to be the first of my 'seasonal' watches this year: bonfire night, Christmas and new year. I'm a couple of weeks late, but I got there.

Anyway, I've Always enjoyed this episode, right from those Channel 4 repeats back in '93, and even though we know the plots and the stories so well, this was no exception.

I thought the direction was good. There were a lot of high shots, giving the production a sense of depth, and, considering it was studio and videotape, the sets seemed to have a sense of space. The design was handled well, too, from St John's modern office to the design of the House of Commons - the old and the new represented side by side. In addition, the pacing of the story was just right. Sometimes drama from this period can feel slow by today's standards, but this rocks along nicely.

And so to the stars: Pat and Honor are on top form. Their relationship isn't as fractious as in some stories, and the banter in Cathy's flat around her involvement in the election could have been out of the following season, and Diana could easily have been delivering the lines. However, it was a joy to watch them working together and the chemistry worked well. There are also nice touches - I particularly like the two old ladies in the house who end up as Steed's lackies doing his dirty work for him: nice. A pity more wasn't made of them at the end. The plot turns of who is out for what are also satisfying, particularly when it is revealed Dove and St John are plotting against the major- perhaps not what was expected from the 'working class' candidate and more from the upper class major.

All in all, an enjoyable episode. One of the many gems in series 3, which is my joint favourite with series 4.

Now, I'm surely not the only person to have opinions about this episode?????
You really must have a word with that cleaning lady....
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

6 (should have given 7) for me. I think this might be the one where Cathy has a memorable fight at a gym - I always remember that.
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Re: 3.12 - November Five

Post by Frankymole »

The brothers react:

Last watched: "Mandrake"