3.22 - Trojan Horse

Post by darren »

Written by Malcolm Hulke

Directed by Laurence Bourne

Production completed: 30 January 1964
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

This episode has the dudious distinction of being the one I never bothered to really finish. I've no idea really what it's about but I stopped caring too soon into it. It's got a good cast but I was so bored.

I give it two points for the shot through the wine glass. Laurence Bourne is another one of those directors who got added but sadly has zero style that befits the show.

2/10
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

Each to their own, my opinion could hardly be any different to Darren's.

Over the last few days I've watched several episodes which I have enjoyed for their style but had no idea what was going on, even on repeated viewing. I found the storyline of "Trojan Horse" refreshingly straightforward.

The downside is the lack of style, it's not particularly Avengerish.

8/10 from me, which I notice is more than anyone else has given it.
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

6 for me. There's quite a bit of fun along the way amongst the more serious equestrian goings on. I cant help feeling the horses have more sense than some of the humans.
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Re: 3.22 - Trojan Horse

Post by darren »

I decided to give this one another go as I really didn't take to it or concentrate much last time.

Although it was like watching a new episode as I retained so little, there really isn't much to celebrate here.

It doesn't help that both Steed and Cathy have far too little involvement. There's an amusing moment as Steed has a little picnic in the stables with champagne and caviar but then he disappears for a while. Cathy is left being secretary and that offers her so little.

It just isn't an Avengers episode for me; a stables as a cover for training assassins but nothing interesting is done with it. It all feels so mundane and there's no interesting design work or direction to add some style and flare.

The only thing of any note was that it features a young Geoffrey Whitehead and Lucinda Curtis - both of whom would go on to be recognisable from TV comedy and dramas. Whitehead has recently had a long running role in BBC comedy "Not Going Out" and in the 80's Curtis was a teacher in Grange Hill and Sylvia in BBC Comedy Dear John.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Re: 3.22 - Trojan Horse

Post by Frankymole »

darren wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:23 pm Lucinda Curtis... in the 80's Curtis was a teacher in Grange Hill and Sylvia in BBC Comedy Dear John.
There's a little text interview with her here. She doesn't mention The Avengers but does mention some early telly like Emergency Ward 10 and her theatre work.
https://grangehillgold.wordpress.com/in ... ndacurtis/
Last watched: "Mandrake"